Saturday, August 5, 2017

Review: The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves By Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: September, 17th, 2013
Format: Kindle version, 453 pages
Source: Overdrive via my library
My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon  B&N  TBD
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...
The Dream Thieves is the sequel to Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys, so I will try to refrain from any spoiler content for this book, but there may be spoilers for the first novel in this review.

I have a hard time with sequels sometimes, but I think Stiefvater really won me over with this series, and I'm definitely going to continue with it. The book opens up pretty much right where the last book ends, and we deal a lot with what we know now about Noah, and how what Adam did at the end of the last book is affecting him. This novel is almost "Ronan's book" because it's a lot about his issues with his father's death and with discovering his new power of taking things out of his dreams. He learns a lot about his father and all the secrets that surrounded him, so it's very much a book that focuses on Ronan's struggles with the rest of the gang mixed in.

I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the prophecy that Blue will kill her true love if she kisses him. I kinda have been calling BS on this, but I know in this setting people accept the impossible, so I guess I have to accept that too. I think we find in this novel that Blue and Gansey are definitely attracted to each other, but they are both still fighting it. It's pretty obvious that they will get together and it will end in tragedy, so as a reader it makes me so torn about them. I did really love the scene that Blue has with Noah when none of the boys are around. Blue's life is a little sad, but she endures because that's what she does.

I think what really won me over in this novel was the writing itself. Stiefvater has this magical way of writing like a song. Her words are so lyrical in this novel that it really clung to my heart. There are some great lines in this novel that I really love that just really made me want to continue reading this book,
"...it has surprised Ronan; he hadn't realized yet that Gansey could persuade even the sun to pause and give him the time."
"Kissing's a lot like laughing. If the joke's funny, it doesn't matter how long it's been since you last heard one."
There are a couple things in the novel that put me off. I know Ronan is kind of jerk, and we are supposed to know that but sometimes I just couldn't stand how jerky he could be. I also didn't really like all the drug usage in this novel. I'm okay with reading that in books, but I just thought it was a little too adult for this young adult novel. I know that teens do drugs, I'm not dumb, but it just seemed so out of place for this story.

If you like the first book, this sequel will not disappoint. I did really like this one, but the ending just felt a little anticlimactic to me. I'm excited to read the next book to see where Stiefvater takes us.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? What do you like about this series as a whole?
 
Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow