Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Audiobook Review: Star Wars: Rebel Rising

Star Wars: Rebel Rising By Beth Revis
Publisher: Listening Library
Release Date: May 2nd, 2017
Format: Audiobook narrated by Rebecca Soler
Source: Audible
My Rating: ★★
Goodreads ★ Amazon  B&N  TBD
New York Times best-selling author Beth Revis brings to life the early adventures and heartbreaks of the heroine of the smash hit movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
When Jyn Erso was five years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents, she is not completely alone - Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.
Jyn dedicates herself to the cause - and the man. But fighting alongside Saw and his people brings with it danger and the question of just how far Jyn is willing to go as one of Saw's soldiers. When she faces an unthinkable betrayal that shatters her world, Jyn will have to pull the pieces of herself back together and figure out what she truly believes in...and who she can really trust.
When I saw that Rebecca Soler was narrating this novel, I was like, "oh, I have GOT to do that one on audio." I've praised Soler for her narration of The Lunar Chronicles before, so I think she was pretty good choice to tell us Jyn's story pre-Rogue One. I thought at first her voice for Jyn was a little shaky. The accent she was using just didn't sit well with me. I think she found a rhythm as the book progressed so I got used to it and it ended up not bothering me. She does a lot of great voices throughout the novel, so I think that helps.

This book is interesting, because it basically tells you what happened to Jyn from the time Saw finds her in the bunker in Rogue One, to when she is broken out of the Imperial prison in the beginning of the movie. I don't think you NEED to read this to understand the movie, but I do think it gives you a lot of background on Jyn's personality and her thought process. It definitely explains why she wants nothing to do with either side in this war. If you wondered why she was so bitter about the rebellion it's revealed in this book. I think I get Jyn a little more now, and I definitely want to re-watch Rogue One now that I have this knowledge. I mean, I was probably going to re-watch it soon anyway!

The novel isn't exactly linear as it goes from Jyn in the imperial prison, to her past and it switches back and forth throughout the novel until you get to the end where she is being broken out. I'm not sure we 100% needed the story told this way, but it's not a huge dealbreaker. I enjoyed finding out what Jyn did all those years, and you really get to see her skills in action. Also knowing what I know now, makes her disinterest in reconnecting with Saw mean a lot more. I would not want to see that dude either.

I really enjoyed this novel, but I have to admit it's kind of depressing. If you know Jyn's fate before this novel, it just makes it a little sad. Homegirl, got the short end of the stick in this galaxy every single time. No matter how much she tried to overcome, it seemed like the galaxy and The Empire found a way to beat her down. POOR JYN! I felt for her a lot in this novel, and certain scenes in this novel just freaking crushed me!

If you liked the other Rogue One tie-in novels like Catalyst, I would recommend reading this one. I actually liked this one a lot better than James Luceno's novel. His was more analytical about Galen, but Revis' novel is more character based. If you don't know where to start with the new Star Wars Canon, I think this novel would be a good place to start.

What did you think about this novel? Do you think you will read this one?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow