Saturday, July 1, 2017

Review: Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda By Becky Albertalli
Publisher: Baltzer + Bray
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Format: Kindle, 320 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
This one had been on my list for some time, but I never got around to it. Albertalli's new novel has recently come out and I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I decided to finally try this one. I'm glad I did, because it was a book that had me reading non-stop and with a full smile on my face. It's been a long time since a book has made me do that, and I think I'm starting to realize that maybe young adult contemporary is my jam.

I'm closer to 30, then 16 so you would think it would be hard for me to relate to Simon, but I found that reading this novel just gave me so much nostalgia for a time when I could just be a kid. I could really feel how Simon felt and I could just picture what his life was like so easily. I think Albertalli did a really good job of showing how teens really are. I especially love that the reason Simon first connects with Blue is through Tumblr. I loved that! I also loved reading all their emails between reading the actual narration of what was going on in Simon's life.

Blue's identity was kind of spoiled for me, so I kind of figured it out early on. Only because I saw who was cast as Blue for the movie and when I started reading this book I figured it out immediately. Not sure if I would had I not know who was going to play him. But I'm one of the few people that actually enjoys spoilers, so I didn't really care, and it didn't ruin the book for me at all. I still really enjoyed it. Even though I figured it out, I just couldn't help myself I had to keep on reading to find out if I was right! That's definitely the mark of a good storyteller.

This book is so fun, but it also had it's serious moments as Simon struggles with coming out. Even though he had a loving and supporting family, that's still a hard thing for people to do. Being a straight woman I will never be able to understand how hard that is for people, but I totally agree with Simon I should have to come out as straight too, because it should NOT be the default.

This book just made me so happy, it was a fun ride that just reminded me about what it's like to be a teen trying to figure out what you are doing with yourself. I definitely recommend this one!


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow