Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Audiobook Review: The Couple Next Door

The Couple Next Door By Shari Lapena
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Release Date: April 7, 2015
Format: Audiobook narrated by Kiersten Potter
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
You never know what's happening on the other side of the wall.

Your neighbor told you that she didn't want your six-month-old daughter at the dinner party. Nothing personal, she just couldn't stand her crying.

Your husband said it would be fine. After all, you only live next door. You'll have the baby monitor and you'll take it in turns to go back every half hour.

Your daughter was sleeping when you checked on her last. But now, as you race up the stairs in your deathly quiet house, your worst fears are realized. She's gone.

You've never had to call the police before. But now they're in your home, and who knows what they'll find there.

What would you be capable of, when pushed past your limit?
Okay, so I am going to try my best NOT to spoil anything about this book, since there are a lot of twist and turns to this novel that I wouldn't want to ruin in for anyone. So here's the deal,  Marco and Anne decided to leave their baby next door while they go to a dinner party. They check on her every half hour but when they get hope no surprise their baby is missing! So who dunnit?? That's what this book leads you along to find out, and man was it an enjoyable ride.

A couple times this audiobook was recommended to me so I decided to get my hands on it, and I really like Potter's narration. She had a sarcastic tone that I really dug. I really loved her Cynthia, because I hated her and her voice for her made me want to punch her in the face. In the best way possible. Cynthia is a character to hate for sure, and Potter makes SURE the listener knows this.


So...I kinda figured out what was going on in this story before I got to it...sort of. I just didn't have all the pieces. The book tries to trip you up a lot, and you are always second guessing everyone. All the characters in this book are terrible people so it literally could have been any of them. The book really tries to make you think maybe it's Anne, especially when she starts to think it herself. I never thought Anne had anything to do with it at all, but I had a lot of theories. I thought Cynthia had done it for the longest time. Lapena slowly unravels the story so you have to figure out where all the pieces fit together. It made it a really enjoyable book!

I'm not telling you what really happens, because I think it kind of ruins the book if you know before hand. I definitely enjoyed seeing it all fall apart. This book took me through a loop, but if you like a good suspense/mystery novel I highly recommend you check this one out. I think fans of Gillian Flynn would enjoy this one a lot.


Have you read this novel? What did you think? Did you enjoy the twist and turns, or was it TOO much?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow