Monday, June 19, 2017

Review: City of Miracles

City of Miracles By Robert Jackson Bennett
Publisher: Broadway Books
Release Date: May 2nd, 2017
Format: Ebook, 451 pages
Source: Blogging for Books*
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★
Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

Revenge. It's something Sigrud je Harkvaldsson is very, very good at. Maybe the only thing. 

So when he learns that his oldest friend and ally, former Prime Minister Shara Komayd, has been assassinated, he knows exactly what to do and that no mortal force can stop him from meting out the suffering Shara's killers deserve. 

Yet as Sigrud pursues his quarry with his customary terrifying efficiency, he begins to fear that this battle is an unwinnable one. Because discovering the truth behind Shara's death will require him to take up arms in a secret, decades-long war, face down an angry young god, and unravel the last mysteries of Bulikov, the city of miracles itself. And perhaps most daunting of all finally face the truth about his own cursed existence.
If you haven't read the previous books in this series, I suggest you go do that and then we can talk about how this is one of the most underrated books series I've read in the past couple of years. I'm all about the Divine Cities series, and I want to make everyone else read this series too. So let's talk about the final book in the trilogy!

I loved City of Stairs, and I enjoyed City of Blades, but coming back to get the perspective of Sigrud was exactly what I wanted in this final installment. Sigrud is a gigantic beast that pretty much just knows how to hunt down bad guys and kill them. Which is why I love him! In the first book he was a man of few words, and in this final book we still see that but we get a little bit more about why this dude hurts so much. Sigrud believes he is made to suffer, and he has suffered for a very long time. It's interesting because when I first started this series I thought it was going to be about Shara, but I think it's really about Sigrud and how we carry our burdens around with us for years. Man, I loved getting that lesson in the form of Sigurd.

I never really know how to classify this series and every time someone asks me what I'm reading I always just spit out some things and end up just telling them the whole plot summary. I've just never read anything like this before, and I definitely think I'll read anything Bennett writes after this series. It's like one-part geo-political espionage, and one-part urban fantasy. It totally seems like it won't work, but it definitely does. The world building and the lore of the gods and the class struggle between the Continentals and The Saypuris just gets you SO invested in this story. This novel didn't disappoint in that regard. We get even a little more about what life was like before The Blink. We also learn a little bit more about The Gods and how they had more tricks up their sleeves than the Kaj knew about.

If you think urban fantasy and espionage is not your thing (I mean, if you're a boring person!) there is also a ton of action in this book. Sigrud tends to have a lot of ideas of how to get out of a tough situation, and a lot of them seem to involve almost blowing himself up. I think there is even a line in this book where he basically says, "I'm too old for this." That really endeared me to him even more. There is an insane chapter where he and his companions are on the run and are attacked on the train, and this dude just full on takes the bad guys out. Dude is too legit to quit, for real. It's almost as if he can't die, because some of his feats are a bit too amazing. It's not that Bennett has written him as a flat hero that can do anything, because we learn there is a reason for this. For me this made the story more complex, and I just needed to find out what was going to happen next.

Some fans might not be 100% happy with the ending of this book, but I generally really liked it. I'm not spoiling it for anyone, but I think the story about the Divine Cities came to an end. I think it was a peaceful end that when I finished that last sentence I was really satisfied with.

This book was amazing, go start reading this series now and read this final installment ASAP!!

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.
Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow