Monday, June 5, 2017

Deanna Listens: Desi Geek Girls



Deanna Listens is a monthly feature on the first Monday of every month I created to showcase some of my favorite podcasts. This month I am talking about a relatively new podcast that I just started listening to -- Desi Geek Girls!


I adore this podcast, and I really appreciate understanding how other people have experienced geek culture from a different perspective. The podcast is hosted by Preeti Chhibber and Swapna Krishna, and they are amazing. 

If you have been following my podcast feature their names may be familiar because Preeti used to co-host Oh, Comics, and in that post I mentioned a particular episode I loved that Swapna was on. I'm so glad I get to listen to both of these gals talk about their love of all things geek. I also love they they talk about their experiences in geek culture being different because they are women of color. It really makes me think about my own privilege and how we may all love the same thing, but it can be a lot harder for others when they can't find representation in a thing they love. Representation for all is really important, and these two have a lot to say about it that I think is really valid and should be listened to.

As I said this is a really new podcast, they only have 6 episodes out currently, but I totally urge everyone to listen to them. Especially if you are a hardcore Star Wars fan like I am. I really enjoyed listening to them talk about their experience at Star Wars Celebration. It was also really enlightening to hear what it meant to have more representation in this universe and what meeting Riz Ahmed meant to both of them. It's a really good listen. Preeti also wrote a really great article about it, that I highly recommend reading. As a white woman, I will never be able to truly understand what women of color go through in geek culture, but I want to understand and support these awesome ladies that have a lot of smart things to say!

I loved listening to Oh, Comics, and I was really sad when they stopped doing the podcast. It's such a dream to hear Preeti's infectious laughter again. I was beaming when I listened to Preeti and Swapna gush over their Star Wars Celebration experience. Also a little jealous, that I couldn't go! 

One thing that they are doing in the podcast that I'm really enjoying is fandom swapping. For instance, Swapna chose three episodes of Star Trek: TNG and made Preeti watch those and then they discussed them on the podcast. Then Preeti will pick something new for Swapna to experience and they'll discuss it in a later episode. I love this concept so much, and I'm looking forward to the new episodes they put out.

If you want to listen to two rad women talking about their love of fandom, I highly recommend this podcast. They try to be very positive in what they talk about, but if there is something problematic in something they love they are not afraid to talk about it. I really love that about these two! Go listen to their podcast now!!

Got a great podcast you love? Give me a recommendation in the comments. No serious, please help, I'm running out of podcasts to listen to!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow