Monday, June 12, 2017

Audiobook Review: Blood Bound

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Release Date: October 1, 2009
Format: Audiobook narrated by Lorelei King
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

The second installment of Patricia Briggs's paranormal fantasy saga to feature feisty heroine Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson, Blood Bound (sequel to 2006's Moon Called), pits the butt-kicking mechanic/coyote shape-shifter against a foe that is as rare as he is ruthless -- a demon-possessed sorcerer who is also a vampire! 

When Mercy agrees to help out friend Stefan (a bloodsucker from the local vampire clan in the Tri-Cities area of Washington State), she has no idea that she is about to inadvertently come face-to-face with an otherworldly creature that epitomizes pure evil. After barely surviving her encounter with sorcerer Cory Littleton, Mercy -- with the help of a small group of supernatural friends -- vows to track down the mysterious Littleton before he can butcher more innocent people. Her mission is twofold: Not only will she stop a mass murderer from killing again but she will also (hopefully) protect the invaluable secrecy of the vampires who live in the Tri-Cities area. But can a shape-shifting mechanic with a thing for Volkswagen cars defeat a monstrosity powered by spirits from the depths of Hell? 
This is the second book in the Mercy Thompson series, and I have to say I am really enjoying these urban fantasy novels! The books are written so pragmatically that when Mercy is explaining the politics of the Fae and the Werewolves announcing themselves to the human world it makes perfect sense. It seems so realistic that you start to believe that maybe there could be supernatural beings walking among us. Okay, maybe not really, but I think Briggs handles this topic so well that it's believable.

I really like the woman who does the narration on the audiobooks, and I think I'm going to continue doing this series on audio. I got pretty used to her voice, that I actually discovered she does some voice work in the new Mass Effect Andromeda game. (She's the Asari Scientist in the lab on the Nexus.) I think she does a really good job of making Mercy came alive for me. I also get a feel for Mercy's don't mess with me attitude from Lorelei King's narration.

I think a reason I really enjoy this novel is that Mercy is such a strong character. She's an independent business woman, she doesn't need a man (or rather werewolf) to complete her life, and she also will do ANYTHING for her friends. Like shift into her coyote-form to help out her vampire friend Stefan, or help the vampires take down a rogue sorcerer-turned vampire. Mercy doesn't really listen to anyone, she does what she wants, and I kind of like that about her. I mean we also see that she gets herself stuck in a bind sometimes, but I like her take-charge attitude.

This novel in particular is also part-mystery because Mercy spends a huge chunk of the novel just trying to find the Sorcerer. She also tries to figure out who could have turned this guy into a vampire in the first place. You find out in the end, and I didn't really see it coming, but it was kind of obvious. I'm really interested to see where the next book takes us.

If you love supernatural books with a little mystery/suspense I highly recommend this one. Definitely don't judge Urban Fantasy by it's cover.

Have you read the Mercy Thompson books? What do you think?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow