Monday, June 26, 2017

Audio Month: Story Based Podcasts

Last week I wrote about some podcasts I love that I think are for book lovers. Mostly podcasts that talk about books, give book recommendations or book reviews. There is also another type of podcast genre that I didn't really talk about -- Story Based Podcasts.

So what do I mean by this? These are podcasts that are strictly telling you a story much like a book would. With audiobooks becoming so popular, I think it makes complete sense that podcasts like this would start to crop up. I enjoy them because they are almost like those old timey radio shows. I know in other countries those radio shows still exist, but not in America.



This is actually my favorite of the story based podcasts I listen to. It's actually an improv group that started it so a lot of the main story is based on them messing with each other and just going, "Yes, and..." It's super inappropriate, but that is why it is for me! I guess my favorite part of this one is when the wizard introduces himself and his 593405043 names. You'll know what I mean when you start listening to it. Chunt's up with that??



What I like about this podcast is that it is literally trying to sound like old timey radio shows. There are actually a few different shows that circulate on this podcast. You have Frank and Sadie Doyle, they deal in the paranormal and martinis. Also voiced by Paul F. Thompkins and Paget Brewster. There is also the tales from the black lagoon...er the dude that wore the mask. And I can't forget the Marshal on Mars! It's a really fun podcast that I definitely recommend.



How can I talk about story based podcasts without talking about Welcome to Night Vale?? I can't, that's why I saved them for last. Even if you don't listen to podcasts, you have probably heard of this podcast. It's one of the better known podcasts, and within good reason. It's just so weird! But in the best way possible. For some podcasts, I think it's okay to start anywhere, but with this one I think you need to listen from the beginning.

I don't listen to too many story based podcasts, but these are just three that I adore. If you have any other recommendations I would love to hear about them!

Have you listened to any of these podcasts? What do you think? 

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow