Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Review: The Boy Next Door

The Boy Next Door By Meg Cabot
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: October 25th, 2005
Format: Kindle version
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Gossip columnist and single New York City girl Mel lives in the most exciting place in the world, yet she's bored with her lovelife. But things get interesting fast when the old lady next door is nearly murdered.
Mel starts paying closer attention to her neighbors—what exactly is going on with the cute boy next door?
Has Mel found the love of her life—or a killer?

This is surprisingly one of the few Meg Cabot book series that I just never read. I think I just didn't have that much interest in it, but I listened to an interview with her recently talking about the newest book in the series, so I figured I would give it a try. Also, I was really frustrated with reading the The Roanoke Girls, that I needed a happy palette cleanser and this book did the trick.

This book doesn't try to take itself too serious, and that's kind of why I liked it. It's kind of like reading a romcom about a girl that gets swept up into a whirlwind romance for it all to come crashing down. Mostly because the dude is a an idiot and doesn't tell her off the bat that he's not the actual person she thinks he is.

This book is kind of a blast from the past, as it was originally first published in 2002 and is set during a time when most offices and people where first starting to get email addresses and start corresponding with them. I was a kid when the internet became a thing, but I do remember a time where email did not exist. So although the book might seem really dated, I almost would like to read from a historical perspective, especially since the entire story is written in emails. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this format, but props to Cabot for experimenting with her writing. I still felt like I got the gist of the story, and I whipped through way too quickly.

The story is quick to get through, and it was just a fun read that I couldn't put down. If you ever want to know what life was like in the early internet days, I would recommend this one. Man does it read dated, but I think it's almost like stepping into a different time, even though it wasn't really that long ago.

Have you read any of Cabot "Boy" series? What do you think?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow