Monday, May 8, 2017

Deanna Listens: Book Riot The Podcast


Deanna Listens is a monthly feature on the first Monday of every month (sometimes) I created to showcase some of my favorite podcasts. I kind of unexpectedly took a few months off from doing this feature, and this month's is actually late by a week. Mostly because life has been pretty stressful, but I am hoping to get back into the swing of things. For this month, I'm talking about Book Riot - The Podcast. 


If you're not familiar with Book Riot, which is so strange to me, like get your life together people, you can check out their website. I get a lot of my book/publishing news from them, and also get a lot of great recommendations for books to read. They also just have a ton of discussions that other readers would be interested in. They also have a podcast. 

So I was a little unsure if I would like this podcast. I listen to a lot of podcasts so sometimes I have "podcast ADD" and I jump around a lot and skip over podcasts I want to listen to for a long time. It's a problem. So one day I finally decided to take the plunge and listen to a complete episode, and I found that I did really enjoy it. It was nice to hear people talk about new things in the book industry, and hear qualms about ebook pricing,  something that bothers me too. I haven't listened to too many episodes of this podcast, but of the ones I have, I've enjoyed listening to Rebecca and Jeff talk about different issues in the book community.

I think Rebecca and Jeff have a good rapport on the show, and I enjoy listening to them talk to each other. One of the things I like about the Book Riot community in generally is that they are very socially conscious. When a book is problematic they don't have an issue with calling it out. In one of the episodes they talked about "that book" and wouldn't name it because they didn't want to give credit to the person in question. You can probably guess which one that it is, it's the one that eventually got cancelled. I like that they didn't want to give this person any publicity for actually saying the name of the book or the author. 

I haven't listened to many more episodes of this podcast, but so far I am really enjoying it and what they have to say. If you are interested in this podcast but don't know where to start, I would suggest starting on You Asked Us Anything or 2016 Year In Review. 

Got a great podcast you love? Give me a recommendation in the comments. No serious, please help, I'm running out of podcasts to listen to!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow