Saturday, April 22, 2017

Review: Remembrance

Remembrance By Meg Cabot
Publisher: William Morrow
Release Date: February, 2nd 2016
Format: Kindle Edition, 403 pages
My Rating: 

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N TBD
You can take the boy out of the darkness.
But you can’t take the darkness out of the boy.

All Susannah Simon wants is to make a good impression at her first job since graduating from college (and since becoming engaged to Dr. Jesse de Silva). But when she’s hired as a guidance counselor at her alma mater, she stumbles across a decade-old murder, and soon ancient history isn’t all that’s coming back to haunt her. Old ghosts as well as new ones are coming out of the woodwork, some to test her, some to vex her, and it isn’t only because she’s a mediator, gifted with second sight.

What happens when old ghosts come back to haunt you?
If you’re a mediator, you might have to kick a little ass.

From a sophomore haunted by the murderous specter of a child to ghosts of a very different kind—including Paul Slater, Suze’s ex, who shows up to make a bargain Suze is certain must have come from the Devil himself—Suze isn’t sure she’ll make it through the semester, let alone to her wedding night. Suze is used to striking first and asking questions later. But what happens when ghosts from her past—including one she found nearly impossible to resist—strike first?
If you have ever stumbled upon this dumb little blog before you probably found out really quick that I love Meg Cabot. I spent a lot of years reading her Princess Diaries series, and she is probably the reason I read so much today. So it might shock a few of you when I say...I think her Mediator series might be my favorite series she's ever written.


I really enjoyed this new installment of Suze and Jesse's story. Like I blew through it so quickly, that it made me realize that maybe I'm just not reading the books I actually want to anymore. Whenever I pitch reading this series to someone I explain, "it's kinda like Buffy, but like with ghosts." I stand by that explanation. Suze has an attitude and sometimes she does really stupid shit, but that's why I enjoy reading about her so much!

I think the main thing I like about this series is that it's a part-paranormal, part-investigation novel. In order to help the ghosts move on, Suze has to first figure out why they are still here, and sometimes the ghosts are just not helpful. Like Lucia the little girl ghost that Suze tries to help in this novel. A little violent ghost that has plenty of reasons to be so angry about her death. I do like that Suze really can't do everything on her own and she enlists her research team (CeeCee) and the muscle (Paul Slater begrudgingly) so she can solve the issue of what is keeping Lucia on this plane. 

I actually love that Cabot makes it pretty clear that we were never supposed to like Paul. He's such a douche, and that's really clear is this novel with him trying to knock down Suze's old house that may effect Jesse! I hate that dude, so I'm really glad in the end of this novel everything works out for Suze and Jesse. 

There were a couple things about the adult Suze that made me really like her. First off all, in this novel Suze is the one that is more interested in sex than Jesse. Of course Jesse wants to abide by his beliefs of not having sex before marriage, which makes sense due to his upbringing and the time in which he was alive. I kinda of love that the woman is the one interested in sex, because we don't see that a lot. Even though woman like sex too! So I really appreciated that being included. The other thing I loved about her was the swearing. Dude, I swear a lot, like I just can't help myself anymore, so I loved to see another woman around my age swearing up a storm and everyone getting mad at her. That is pretty much my life, so I could totally relate. 

I will admit that the plot is not that different from the other books in the series. There's a ghost Suze has to help, Paul tries to mess up her relationship with Jesse, and Suze has to kick some major ass. But in all honestly, that's what I wanted out of this novel. I wanted to come back to these characters I loved and read them in action again. If Meg Cabot writes anymore novels about Suze, I will buy them all.

Have you read this series? What do you think of this adult installment?


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow