Monday, March 6, 2017

Deanna Listens: Hello From the Magic Tavern


Deanna Listens is a monthly feature on the first Monday of every month (sometimes) I created to showcase some of my favorite podcasts. This month I'm talking about the podcast Hello From The Magic Tavern.

If you like improv comedy or podcasts that tell a story (like Welcome to Nightvale) I would highly recommend this podcast. I think readers would get into this podcast because although sometimes they are making stuff up on the fly there is still a core story that is happening in this podcast. I have to admit that I have only listened to a handful of episodes but the dudes that do this podcast are so funny that I just get a kick out of listening to them.

So what exactly is this podcast about? The concept is that our protagonist, Arnie, got sucked into a portal outside of Burger King into the magical land of Foon. He conveniently had his podcast equipment in his backpack and is getting a weak wi-fi signal from the Burger King, so he decides to start a podcast to figure out this strange new land. Each week he is joined by a Wizard Usidore, who has like five million names, and Chunt a magical shape shifter currently in badger form. I'll let you figure out for yourself how that one works.

This podcast is seriously so very weird, but also so very good. It's definitely for fans of D & D or any sort of fantasy fan really. It does poke some fun at the genre, so I think basically it's for fans that don't take themselves too serious.

Usually when I recommend podcasts in this feature I also shout out my favorite episodes, but for this one I am not going to do this because I really think you should start from the beginning with this one! To really understand Arnie's story I think you need to start from the beginning of when he first landed in Foon. You can obviously jump in where ever you want, but for me personally I like to start at the beginning.

Does any one else listen to this podcast? What do you think?

Got a great podcast you love? Give me a recommendation in the comments. No serious, please help, I'm running out of podcasts to listen to!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow