Sunday, March 26, 2017

Audiobook Review: Ask The Passengers

Ask The Passengers By A. S. King
Publisher: Little, Brown BFYR
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Format: Audiobook narrated by Devon Sorvari
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Astrid Jones desperately wants to confide in someone, but her mother’s pushiness and her father’s lack of interest tell her they’re the last people she can trust. Instead, Astrid spends hours lying on the backyard picnic table watching airplanes fly overhead. She doesn’t know the passengers inside, but they’re the only people who won’t judge her when she asks them her most personal questions . . . like what it means that she’s falling in love with a girl.

As her secret relationship becomes more intense and her friends demand answers, Astrid has nowhere left to turn. She can’t share the truth with anyone except the people at thirty thousand feet, and they don’t even realize she’s there. But little does Astrid know just how much even the tiniest connection will affect these strangers’ lives—and her own—for the better.
Ask the Passengers was a hard book for me to get into. I've read Please Ignore Vera Dietz by the same author and that one was hard to get through too, but in the end I really enjoyed reading it. With Ask the Passengers I was left just not really sure what I felt about this novel. I didn't hate it, but I don't know if overall I really enjoyed it all that much. It's one of those books that I just don't have a lot of feelings about. I think for the most part it's because this book is not that exciting.

I was interested in reading about a person unsure about their sexuality and they are trying to figure it out. What we get in this novel is someone who is essentially bullied into coming out. I'm actually not sure if Astrid really is gay, she could be bi or asexual, but I felt like she was never able to discover that for herself because everyone in her life basically forced her to declare she was a lesbian. I'm not gay, so I can't say I understand the complexity of what it is like to figure out your sexuality or what it's like to come out to your friends and family. So I got that Astrid wasn't ready to tell everyone, because I felt like she should really do it on her own terms. In this novel, I felt like she was basically coerced into it. By her friends who are gay and had no idea she was, and by her parents that pointblank ask her and don't believe her what she says that she just doesn't know yet. 

I also didn't really like her girlfriend Dee at all! She was disrespectful of Astrid's boundaries, and I feel like if this happened in a straight romance people would be pretty pissed off, and think it was borderline abuse. It definitely read that way to me, and it really put me off. Dee wasn't the only character I didn't care for, it seemed like everyone in Astrid's life was terrible. I think the only character I actually liked was her pot smoking Dad. Dude was just trying to survive in his crazy household with his demanding wife. It felt like were were supposed to hate everyone but Astrid, and that just felt like lazy writing to me. 

This book had a lot of interludes which consisted of all the passengers in the airplanes that Astrid was sending her love to. I found these parts to be pretty useless, and just filler to make it seem like anything was actually happening in this novel. The last one we read actually made me really mad considering what the situation was. I felt like these were all trite situations that had nothing to do with the main plot.

So in the end, I was glad that Astrid came to terms with her sexuality and figured out what she wanted. That was the one thing that kept me continuing to read this novel, but it took so long to get to that point. All in all, this just wasn't my favorite thing to read.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow