Monday, January 9, 2017

Review: Dragonfly In Amber

Dragonfly In Amber By Diana Gabaldon
Publisher: Seal Books
Release Date: July 1st, 1992
Format: Paperback, 947 page
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ...about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ...and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his ....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ...in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ...and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves...
I adored the first book in the Outlander series, so I was super pumped to read the sequel.  However, the second book in the series took me a long time to get through. It took me an actual year to read it as I got distracted by other books I had to read for review and such. I think a part of the problem was that some parts of this novel were just boring to me.

This book was a little bit different from the first novel. The first one leaves off with Jamie & Claire going to Paris, and this one starts off and Claire is back in modern times with a grown daughter.

Like...


I wouldn't say this is a spoiler because it's pretty clear that Claire at some point went back into The Stones to go back to her own time, but we don't know why. The story unravels back to the past as Claire starts to tell the story to her daughter Brianna and Roger Wakefield. 

So remember when I said parts of it where boring? Yeah Paris was were I got really bored with the novel. It just wasn't as exciting as the previous book, and I just wanted to get to the action but it didn't seem like there was a lot of action in Paris. There was just a lot of sitting around and going to parties in Paris, which just didn't excite me at all. I've heard this complaint from a couple other people so I'm glad I'm not alone. I was still invested in this story, so I decided to press on because I still wanted to know WHY Claire went back to her own time.

I think another part of what prevented me to be fully invested in this novel was that it was really more about politics and how Claire & Jamie had to play the game to try to undermine the Jacobite Rebellion. I did find it pretty interesting that Claire was able to convince her Scottish husband to go against a cause he should have been supporting. 

What I liked about this book was that it doesn't just end with Claire explaining why and how she came back through the stones. It goes a little bit further and explores the 1968 line that Geillis Duncan gave to Claire in this first book. This was a pretty important and awesome part about the book. The end leaves you wanting more, and I just wanted to start the third book. Which I have but I can't invest time in it yet because I have some review books to read first. 

So all in all I have some mixed emotions about this book. Did I like it? Yes. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you are invested in Claire & Jamie and want to know more about what their story holds, I would recommend reading it. Just don't be discouraged about the Paris storyline, I do think after that part is over it gets more interesting. So yes if you are a fan of this series I highly recommend continuing reading it by picking up this second installment. 

Have you read Outlander? Any plans to continue the series? If you've read any of the later books, which is your favorite?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow