Monday, December 12, 2016

Review: The Sun Is Also A Star

The Sun is Also a Star By Nicola Yoon*
Publisher: Delacourt Press
Release Date: November 1st, 2016
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★1/3

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Natasha: I’m a girl who believes in science and facts. Not fate. Not destiny. Or dreams that will never come true. I’m definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him. Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica. Falling in love with him won’t be my story.

Daniel: I’ve always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents’ high expectations. Never the poet. Or the dreamer. But when I see her, I forget about all that. Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store—for both of us.

The Universe: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. A million futures lie before us. Which one will come true?
Nicola Yoon is a new up and coming YA author and has found sucess with her first novel Everything, Everyhing; however reading her second novel is my first experience with her.

I really struggled with this novel and how I should rate it, because to me it was written so well and the characters were so compelling. I just wanted to know more about them and wanted to see where their story went. I found myself whipping right through this book because the writing just wanted me to get to the end. On the other hand, there wasn't really a plot to this other than this being a instalove romance.

This book never really tried to disguise itself as anything more than a romance, but if you're not a fan of instalove or you need something more out of plot, you might want to sit this one out. There is the subplot that Natasha and her family are undocumented immigrants and they are going to be deported to the US. I found all this super interesting to read about, but that plotline doesn't really go anywhere. This story is more about how she meets Daniel and they spend the day together agruing about love and if it is real. I did really like that Natasha was the one into hard data and science, and that Daniel was the hopeless romantic.

Both Daniel and Natasha are fleshed out characters that I found really fun to get to know. I also thought it was super interesting to show the difference between immigrants to America. On the one hand Daniel was born in the country but carried the weigh of being a son of immigrants, and on the other Natasha was not supposed to be in this country but carried the weight of her family's fate in her hands. Even thought the family's deportation wasn't her fault. I was really glad we got to see two diverse cultures in this book. I think it was so refreshing to read about someone that is not like me! Being inclusive of different cultures and POC is something that I really like to see more of in books, so I was really glad to see it in this book.

One thing that did really bother me about the writing is that we get not only Daniel & Natasha's point of view but there was a bunch of interludes from different people that they bump into throughout their day. From their respective parents to complete strangers. I know for some people the writing flowed well enough that this didn't bother them, but for me it really took me out of the story. I really could have done without these interruptions.

If you are a fan of young adult contemporary, especially romance, I would highly recommend this book for you. There is definitely an audience for this novel, I just don't think that it was for me.

*I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review*
Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow