Thursday, December 8, 2016

Review: After You

After You By Jojo Moyes
Publisher: Pamela Dorman Books
Release Date: September 29th, 2015
Format: Ebook 353 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

“You’re going to feel uncomfortable in your new world for a bit. But I hope you feel a bit exhilarated too. Live boldly. Push yourself. Don’t settle. Just live well. Just live. Love, Will.”

How do you move on after losing the person you loved? How do you build a life worth living?

Louisa Clark is no longer just an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. After the transformative six months spent with Will Traynor, she is struggling without him. When an extraordinary accident forces Lou to return home to her family, she can’t help but feel she’s right back where she started.

Her body heals, but Lou herself knows that she needs to be kick-started back to life. Which is how she ends up in a church basement with the members of the Moving On support group, who share insights, laughter, frustrations, and terrible cookies. They will also lead her to the strong, capable Sam Fielding—the paramedic, whose business is life and death, and the one man who might be able to understand her. Then a figure from Will’s past appears and hijacks all her plans, propelling her into a very different future...

For Lou Clark, life after Will Traynor means learning to fall in love again, with all the risks that brings. But here Jojo Moyes gives us two families, as real as our own, whose joys and sorrows will touch you deeply, and where both changes and surprises await.
A lot of people have a lot of feelings about Me Before You, and I have talked about how I feel about the book already on this blog. So today I want to talk about the sequel After You. I know that some people really did not like this sequel or think it needed to happened. I'll admit, I don't think a sequel was at all necessary, but I ended up really liking this one. I think mostly it's because there is something about Lou that I can relate to so much.

First, I'm not sure what people thought this book was going to be about, and maybe that's why so many gave up on it. This is a book about what happens to Lou after the events of the first novel. This is a novel about grieving and loss and how sometimes it's different for everyone. The first part of the novel is mostly about Lou wallowing in her sadness and that did get to be a little annoying, but as the book went on and events unfold I was invested.

Lou does get closure from what happened in the previous novel, especially when she meets Will's daughter (whom he never knew existed). His daughter was a seriously troubled kid and I thought it was rather sweet of Lou to try to help her. I think this also showed that Lou is a caregiver through and through. This girl always puts others before herself and she is constantly sacrficing what she wants because she feels like she has responsiblities to other people. I think that is what I like about her, but I also think it's what bothers me about her. She never gets to really live for herself if she is always living for other people and their needs.

I did really like that Lou is still friends with Nathan and they still talk on a regular basis. He's actually the one that pushes her into a new career, and gets her a job offer. Moyes makes us believe that Lou is not going to take this job, which she is so qualified for, and I think I would have been really mad if she just decided to stick with what she had been doing. So I was really glad she got out of her period of wallowing and tries to do something more with her life.

I really connected with Lou in the first book, so that's why I really stuck with and enjoyed this sequel. I don't think we need to hear from Lou again, and I don't think we really needed this book, but I found it super interesting to read about what people go through after they have endured a great loss.

Have you read this sequel? What are your thoughts?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow