Saturday, November 5, 2016

Review: Dawn Of The Jedi

STAR WARS: Dawn Of The Jedi
Publisher: Lucas Books
Release Date: May 7th, 2013
Format: Kindle version, 263 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
On the planet Tython, the ancient Je’daii order was founded. And at the feet of its wise Masters, Lanoree Brock learned the mysteries and methods of the Force—and found her calling as one of its most powerful disciples. But as strongly as the Force flowed within Lanoree and her parents, it remained absent in her brother, who grew to despise and shun the Je’daii, and whose training in its ancient ways ended in tragedy.

Now, from her solitary life as a Ranger keeping order across the galaxy, Lanoree has been summoned by the Je’daii Council on a matter of utmost urgency. The leader of a fanatical cult, obsessed with traveling beyond the reaches of known space, is bent on opening a cosmic gateway using dreaded dark matter as the key—risking a cataclysmic reaction that will consume the entire star system. But more shocking to Lanoree than even the prospect of total galactic annihilation, is the decision of her Je’daii Masters to task her with the mission of preventing it. Until a staggering revelation makes clear why she was chosen: The brilliant, dangerous madman she must track down and stop at any cost is the brother whose death she has long grieved—and whose life she must now fear.

This book is part of the old Star Wars Legends canon, but I don't see why it shouldn't be a part of the new canon. This book is supposed to take place several (like thousand) years before Episode 1. From a historical standpoint I thought it was super interesting, because the ancient Jedi -- called Je'daii here--have attachments, they have families and they use both the dark (Bogan) and light (Ashla) sides of the force. I found this interesting because the whole prequel is about balance to the force, but the Jedi were only using one part of the force. The ancient Je'daii really did believe in balance, and used both sides.

I liked reading about Lanoree and I found her to be a little similar to Mara Jade. She got her job done and she didn't ask questions. I found her struggle for duty with the order and her love for her brother to be very realistic. I also liked that the way they book was written in a series of present day chapters and flashbacks, we really got a feel for why being in this order was important for her. We also got to see how it completely alienated her brother and shows us why he became a crazy person.

I also noticed that there is mention of a Sith species, and I was like what?!? That made zero sense to me, but I talked to a friend and he said that this is explained in the comics. I think for a standalone book that was not good, because as Star Wars fans we know Sith are the bad guys, but in this book they are just a different race of people. This book is actually a tie-in novel for the comic book series of the same name. I found that this made sense because I felt at times the writing didn't cross over as well in this medium. I think I might have liked the comic book version better.

I don't know if I'll go back and read the comics that tie into this novel. This book was a decent read, but I just don't feel like it completed wowed me. I think if you are a fan and you want to know more history about the Jedi order I would recommend you give this one a try for yourself.

Have you read this book or the comic series? What are your thoughts?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow