Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Review: Bloodline

Bloodline By Claudia Gray
Publisher: LucasBooks
Release Date: May 3rd, 2016
Format: Hardback, 332 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
When the Rebellion defeated the Empire in the skies above Endor, Leia Organa believed it was the beginning to a lasting peace. But after decades of vicious infighting and partisan gridlock in the New Republic Senate, that hope seems like a distant memory.

Now a respected senator, Leia must grapple with the dangers that threaten to cripple the fledgling democracy — from both within and without. Underworld kingpins, treacherous politicians, and Imperial loyalists are sowing chaos in the galaxy. Desperate to take action, senators are calling for the election of a First Senator. It is their hope that this influential post will bring strong leadership to a divided galaxy. 

As the daughter of Darth Vader, Leia faces with distrust the prospect of any one person holding such a powerful position — even when supporters suggest Leia herself for the job. But a new enemy may make this path Leia’s only option. For at the edges of the galaxy, a mysterious threat is growing.
I'm a huge fan of the old Star Wars Expanded Universe books, and since LucasFilms decided to create a new continuity I've been having trouble with the new canon. I feel like some of the books have been hit or miss, however, Claudia Gray's books thus far have definitely been a hit. She wrote Lost Stars, which I adored so I was super excited to see that she was writing a SW book about Princess Leia. For me I think the problem with the new canon is that some of the authors just don't get the essence of what a Star Wars book should be like, but I think Gray does it pretty well. She could write all of the other books and I think I would be happy.

So let's talk about how Leia Organa is one of the most powerful of the original trio. Girl gets shit done as a teenager, so of course she is not going to let bureaucracy get her down. This is why I loved that we get to see Leia doing senator things and how she completely disobeys orders by going on covert missions. Like Leia is so like Padme in so many ways, but she also has the anger that was in Anakin so this book made me appreciate the prequels and what they did for us.

I did hear one negative comment that, "if you didn't get enough of the senate in the prequels, you get it here," but that was something that I found so enjoyable. I liked seeing how the senate worked and how it was crumbling because they had a great leader that was able to unite them but now there is so much infighting that they can't get anything done. It was a nice foil to our world.

I think one of my favorite parts about this book is how happy Threepio was just being Leia's receptionist. He excels at it and it seems exactly where he should be. Which actually makes me laugh so much since we now know that his creator was Leia's father Darth Vader! Leia's parentage is a major plot turning point in this novel, and one of the things that made me so mad. It gets out who her father was and it seems like everyone turns on her, even though she was tortured on the first death star...by her own father...and she led the rebellion to stop him and his master, like come on people Leia is not evil!! This bothered me, but it wasn't because I found it unbelievable, it just annoyed me that every good thing she did before was erased in her colleagues eyes just because her father was a terrible sith lord.

This book is a precursor to the newest film, so it tries to fill in the missing pieces between Return of The Jedi and The Force Awakens. There still is a lot of things we don't know, but this shows us how the seed of the New Order was sown and why Leia is a General. I definitely want to know more!

Definitely read this if you liked Lost Stars, or are really interesting in what exactly Leia does as a Senator in this strange universe.  I really hope Gray gets contracted to write another SW book. I think she does a really good job of it.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow