Friday, November 18, 2016

Audiobook Review: Matched

Matched By Ally Condie
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Release Date: November 10th 2010 
Format: Audiobook narrated by Kate Simses
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate ... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
 
I actually have paperback copies of this entire trilogy, but I was afraid I wasn't going to like this one so I decided to try the first book on audio. I wasn't completely wrong, because this book just didn't blow me away.

So let's get started with the negatives first. One of the criticisms I heard about this book was that the plot isn't all that original, and it sounds a little too much like Lois Lowry's The Giver. I have to say that I agree with that. I feel like I had read this plot before, however I did find it interesting to watch as this one girl slowly realizes that the society she believed in her whole life was really just a sham. It was just a series of people in charge experimenting on the masses.

What I found unique in this novel was that it didn't seem like Cassia was supposed to be "the chosen one" (at least not yet)and based on the new restrictions that were happening in The Society it was clear that a revolution was already in progress. So I did find it interesting to watch from the other side as the system was fighting back against the people they were oppressing.

This was a hard book for me to deal with because the way the people just blindly followed The Society made me so angry. These people had no real thoughts on their own, so I was glad in the end that Cassia decided to fight for her individuality.

I'm not sure yet if I want to continue with this trilogy, but I did find this was an enjoyable read. It's a little predictable, but I didn't find it a bad book. Just not a book that makes me want to shake the person next to me and yell, "Read this book!!"

What did you think about this book? Do you think I should continue with this trilogy?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow