Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Audiobook Review: Stars Above

Stars Above By Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Release Date: February 2nd, 2016
Format: Audiobook narrated by Rebecca Soler
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
The Keeper: A prequel to the Lunar Chronicles, showing a young Scarlet and how Princess Selene came into the care of Michelle Benoit.

Glitches: In this prequel to Cinder, we see the results of the plague play out, and the emotional toll it takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch….

The Queen’s Army: In this prequel to Scarlet, we’re introduced to the army Queen Levana is building, and one soldier in particular who will do anything to keep from becoming the monster they want him to be.

Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.

After Sunshine Passes By: In this prequel to Cress, we see how a nine-year-old Cress ended up alone on a satellite, spying on Earth for Luna.

The Princess and the Guard: In this prequel to Winter, we see a young Winter and Jacin playing a game called the Princess and the Guard…

The Little Android: A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.

The Mechanic: In this prequel to Cinder, we see Kai and Cinder’s first meeting from Kai’s perspective.

Something Old, Something New: In this epilogue to Winter, friends gather for the wedding of the century…
Stars Above is a short story collection to go along with Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles. Due to this, I'm going to spend some short paragraphs talking about each story individually. First, I do want to say that I love Rebecca Soler as the narrator for this series. I listened to both Scarlet & Winter on audiobook and I was really glad to hear the same voice in my head. I think she does a good job with this world, and I definitely want to  hear more of her in other audiobooks. Fair warning there are some spoilers for the series below. So if you haven't read it yet, maybe skip this review.

THE KEEPER: This was a strong story to start off with, because it gives us a little more insight into Scarlet's grandmother. She was a total BAMF and it makes me so sad she no longer with us. It's clear that her independent spirit rubbed off on Scarlet A LOT! The one thing that did bother me was, how the hell didn't Scarlet find Cinder in the hangar? I think that was a touch unrealistic.

GLITCHES: I liked this story because it shows how Cinder starts to adjust to her new life as a Cyborg. At first she doesn't even realize that she is using technology to help her figure out how to fix Iko, or learn that Adri is a terrible person. It's also sad because you know that Garan is going to die of the plaque.

THE QUEEN'S ARMY: If you forget how much Levana is a terrible Lunar, this story will remind you. This jerk took CHILDREN from their home and had her army genetically modify them to fight for her, just because she wanted supreme power. Oh...I hate her so much, she's one of the best villains I've read in awhile.

CARSWELL'S GUIDE TO BEING LUCKY: As much as I love Carswell, I think this short story was a miss. It does show us how his home life is a little rocky, but I just didn't find it all the interesting.

AFTER SUNSHINE PASSES BY: I kind of forgot how naive Cress was, and this story shows that she was even more naive than I remember. Cress is too pure for this world, but she is also smart as a whip on the computer and it's one of the reasons she's keep alive. This story is just a short little thing to explain how she got up in that satellite in the first place.

THE PRINCESS AND THE GUARD: This story was really sad, because we finally understand why Winter allows herself to go mad with Lunar Sickness by not using her gift. Winter, like Cress has a pure heart and all she wants to do is help people. She plans to help them feel better with her gift, but when she tries to stop a servant girl from killing herself she actually does more harm than good. It also shows us why she just goes along with everything that Levan says, which still makes me mad!

THE LITTLE ANDROID: Unlike the other stories, this one has nothing to do with the characters from the series. Perhaps that's why I had a harder time with it. The concept is pretty interesting, but since I was expecting this to relate back to the other characters I wasn't that interested in it.

THE MECHANIC: So this short story wasn't bad but it felt like I had read it before...It seems like a first draft of when Cinder and Kai meet for the first time when he goes to her to get his android fixed. I assume most people are reading this collection after reading the series, so I thought it was really unnecessary.

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW: The final story ends on a good note, by telling us what happens after the end of Winter. However, Meyer teases us with a wedding but it's not Kai & Cinder's wedding, it's Wolf & Scarlet's. It's a cute story, and I think it was a nice way to finish out this collection.

I am glad I read this collection, because I really did enjoy The Lunar Chronicles. I enjoyed getting more insight on some things that weren't really explained in detail from the series. I don't think you have to read this book if you liked the series, but if you can't get enough of it and you want more, I would recommend reading this collection as well.

What are your thoughts on this collection? Do you have a favorite story from it?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow