Thursday, November 24, 2016

Audiobook Review: Across the Universe

Across the Universe
Publisher: Penguin Audiobooks
Release Date: January 1st, 2012
Format: Audiobook narrated by Carlos Santos & Lauren Ambrose
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★ 1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.... 

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, 300 years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end 50 years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. 

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next. 

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
One of the things I loved about this novel was the concept of people being frozen on a ship and having to rely on other people living on that ship to take care of them for generations. It seems like such a common Sci-Fi trope, but I think it might actually be the first Sci-Fi book I have read like that. So the concept of this novel was super cool, especially since I knew something was going to go wrong.

The novel tells the story back and forth between Amy, a frozen girl that has been woken up on this ship, and Elder, a boy who was born on the ship and is destined to be the leader of the next generation. I was glad that the audio version of this book had two different narrators to tell the story from both of their perspectives. At times I thought the female narrator's volume was too loud, so it made it annoying to have to keep adjusting my sound, but it was something I could live with.

I liked this novel, but I found that it was a little predictable. Maybe this is just because I read way too much sci-fi but I had a feeling I knew what was really happening. Like I wasn't that surprised when we find out about Elder's parentage. I also had a feeling I knew who was killing all the frozen people. Although, I did start to think that maybe it was the ship itself, but as the book progressed I could see that my initial thought was correct. So at times it didn't surprise and wow me because I had already guessed what was going to happen. I don't think this is a mar to Beth Revis' writing or this plot she created, I think it's just a problem when you read a lot of one genre and you get used to the same types of tropes happening.

At times I seriously disliked Amy, she came off as really bratty, especially in the opening of this novel. However, once she had woken up on this strange ship, I started to put myself in her shoes. I think maybe I would have lashed out in anger like she did, especially when people are threatening her just because she exists. Also everything they think is SO WRONG so I get that she wanted to be like, "No, that's that what happened, I was there." I don't know how I would react in the same situation, maybe I would be like Amy, so I started to think maybe her deposition wasn't that bratty.

Apparently this is the first in the series, but I'm not sure yet if I want to continue with it. I do kind of what to see if they ever get to the planet they were trying to go to, but I kind of liked how this book ended. If you are interested in reading about "generation ships"I would suggest giving this one a try.

Have you read this book? Have you finished the series? Should I continue with it?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow