Thursday, November 3, 2016

Audiobook Review: The 100

The 100 By Kass Morgan
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Release Date: November 2nd 2013
Format: Audiobook narrated by Phoebe Strole & Justin Torres
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Join one hundred teens on an epic journey from outer space to a barely recognizable Earth in this high-profile commercial teen series.

In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland—before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust—and even love—again.
So I have heard some very conflicting things about the book The 100. I've heard that the show is actually better than the book, but I've also heard that the book is better, so I decided to just check it out for myself.

I listened to the audiobook for this one, I think in a way that might have made me get into the book more than if I had just read it. However, I did find it a little weird that there was a male and female narrator when the book was written in 3rd person. I get why they do that when a book is written in multiple perspectives, but I didn't think it was necessary for this one. In any case, I think they both did a good job of keeping my attention.

I watched the first season of the TV show, and I felt kinda of meh about it, but reading the novel actually made me want to go back to the show and try to watch it again. There are a few things that are very different in the book vs. show and I think that might be why some people really don't like the book. For one, it seems like they have been on the spaceship for WAY longer in the book, and both of Clarke's parents are executed in the novel, for a way different reason than the TV series. Finding out what they did and why Clarke was so disgusted with what they were doing (even though they were coercing by the government) made me like Clarke in the book way more. I understand her struggle and her anger with Wells way more her. He really did ruin her life.

There are a few characters that are missing from the show that are in the novel, and I actually really liked their story lines, so reading about them made me more interested in them. For one we learn that Clarke actually has a friend within the juveniles. I think that showed a different side of her. There is also Glass who escaped from the drop ship and we get to learn why she was there in the first place. (Minor spoiler ahead, although it's pretty obvious) Although I liked Glass and enjoyed reading about her struggle, I want to know why these people that live on a spaceship and need to keep the population down did not have birth control? Like, seriously? Where was the sex ed on this spaceship?

All in all this book was enjoyable, but it didn't completely blow me away. It's definitely a hit or miss book, and I don't think i will be reading any more of the book in the series. If you like the TV show, I would suggest trying this book out for yourself.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow