Friday, August 12, 2016

Review: Sword of Destiny

Sword of Destiny By Andrzej Sapkowski
Publisher: Orbit
Release Date: May 19th 2015 (originally 1992)
Format: Kindle version
My Rating: 

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Geralt is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent. He roams the country seeking assignments, but gradually comes to realise that while some of his quarry are unremittingly vile, vicious grotesques, others are the victims of sin, evil or simple naivety.
In this collection of short stories, following the adventures of the hit collection THE LAST WISH, join Geralt as he battles monsters, demons and prejudices alike.

I'm probably not going to stop talking about how much I love the Witcher so get used to it! 

Sword of Destiny is the second short story collection based in Geralt of Rivia's Witcher world. I have really been enjoying these little side stories because they are almost like the side quests from the game series. I also find that there are a lot references in the games that you might only pick up on if you read any of the books. CD Projeckt Red did a really good job of being loyal to the book series, and it makes me love the video game so much more.

The short stories in this collection get more into the twisted relationship between Geralt and Yennefer. I'm not sure I have made an opinion about Yennefer yet, but I don't completely buy these two together. I just need a little more out of them. The one thing that I find so interesting about Geralt is that he is supposed to be this cold, calculating killer with no emotions, so Yennefer treats him that way. I think we are supposed to realize that maybe the mutations didn't completely work on Geralt. He may speak in monotone and not show emotions, but Yennefer hurts his feeling a lot. I think in this collection she realizes her mistake, so I'm definitely interested in how this relationship plays out in the novels.

One thing I love about the games is Geralt's relationship with Ciri. In this collection we get a better glimpse of how the two became bound to each other. I love their relationship. Geralt is definitely the father that Ciri deserves not the one that she gets. This collection pretty much sets up how their destines will entwine, so I'm pretty excited to read more about these two.

I don't think I would have sought out these books had I not played the video games first, but I am really glad I did. The main plot line is really loyal to the source material, so it made me really enjoy reading these. If you play the games I highly recommend reading the books. 


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow