Thursday, July 7, 2016

Audiobook Review: The Girl on the Train

The Girl On The Train By Paula Hawkins
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Release Date: January 13th, 2015
Format: Audiobook
My Rating: 

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
A lot of people have some strong opinions about this book, and they are mostly that they didn't enjoy it. I know the main reason is that they couldn't stand the main character Rachel. I think if I hadn't know people that read and enjoyed this one through the end, I might have giving up on this one too. However, I stuck with it and I think once you find out why Rachel is the way she is you can understand her better.

The novel is told from the perspective of three different women involved in the mystery of one woman's disappearance. One of them being the missing woman herself. The audiobook version has three different woman doing the narration, which I was really glad about because it was really clear which one of them you were experiencing. I found all three to be unlikeable for different reasons, but I found Anna to be the worst. I could not stand her. As for Rachel and Megan, they are both damaged characters that once I found out what made them that way I had more sympathy for them.

I'm being purposefully vague in this review, because I really don't want to give anything away about this novel. I also can't comment on if I found it predictable about who done it, because I just had to know and didn't feel like waiting until finishing the audiobook so I looked it up. I suck! But I'm one of those weird people that just loves spoilers. I like knowing how things end and seeing how they play out.

I thought the audiobook was a really good production, and I think that is why I enjoyed this novel so much. I'm not entirely sure if things would have been different had I just read the book. I think if you are looking for a good murder mystery, I would recommend this one.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow