Friday, June 10, 2016

Review: Proposal

Proposal: A Mediator Novella
Publisher: Avon Impulse 
Release Date: January 19th, 2016
Format: Kindle Ebook
My Rating: ★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
The last place Suze Simon expects to find herself during Valentine’s Day is a cemetery. But that’s what happens when you’re a mediator – cursed with the “gift” of communicating with the dead.

That’s how Suze has ended up at the graves of a pair of NCDPs - Non-Compliant Deceased Persons – whose drama didn’t end with death. It’s Suze’s job to make sure they move on—for good.

But the NCDPs aren’t the only ones with problems. The reason Suze is spending her Valentine’s Day with the undead instead of her boyfriend, Jesse, is because he’s having so much trouble adjusting to life after death . . . not surprising, considering the fact that he used to be an NCDP himself, and now his girlfriend busts his former kind for a living, while he tries to cure his kind of what used to ail him.

Can Suze use her mediating skills to propose a mutual resolution, and bring all these young lovers together - including Jesse and herself - especially on the night Saint Valentine declared sacred to romance? 

Or will she end up alone—and possibly undead—herself?
Proposal is a short novella that is supposed to take place between the last time we saw Suze Simon in Twilight, and as we will see her in the newest novel Remembrance. I haven't read Remembrance yet, but I will say that I enjoyed this one since it helped me remember what had happened in the last novel. (despite that last year I listened to all the audiobooks to refresh my memory.) I don't think this story is absolutely necessary to read if you like this series, but I think for me it helped to bridge the gap between the books.

The plot itself was a simple "ghost of the week" story where Suze thinks she has everything figured out but she is actually completely wrong about how the ghost died. I think that was what I kind of always liked about Suze, she was a head-strong independent girl but she had her flaws too. Sometimes she really didn't get the whole mediator thing right, but I always enjoyed the mysteries that came with her stories.

One thing that I saw as a huge departure from the YA novels, is that this new chapter in Suze's life is her adult life. There was a clear distinction that this is an adult novel, which I am completely fine with! I also really love that Cabot wrote about the female gaze and had Suze be the one that is interested in sex. Because women do like sex, not just men. There is a particular line in the novella where Suze mentions how she just wants to bone and she can't stand that Jesse is stuck in his century's ways. I laughed pretty hard at this part, mostly because I wasn't really expected it, but also because  it was totally something that Suze would be thinking! It reminded me how much I did love her as a character when I read these novels as a teen. Honestly, I think this series might be my favorite from Cabot.

This was a short read, and I think if you want to see the story of how Suze gets engaged then read this. I think it will definitely help bridge the gap for when I finally read the newest novel, but I don't think readers of this series absolutely need to read this.

Have you read the novella? Do you think it necessary to read in order to read the new adult Mediator novel? What are you thoughts on the books becoming more adult?

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow