Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: Me Before You

Me Before You By Jojo Moyes
Publisher: Pamela Dorman/Viking Books
Release Date: December 31st 2002
Format: Kindle ebook
My Rating: ★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
Before I get into my review, I want to address the controversy with this novel.  I am in the camp that believes it’s completely okay to like a book even though it’s problematic. I recognize that I have some issues with the theme of this novel and the ending, but I found reading this story to be enjoyable. For me, I didn’t read this man as a representation of this entire community. He was a stubborn man that didn’t want to accept his life, and I enjoyed the journey in this novel. I read this one as just a story, but as an able-bodied person I don’t think I can have a true opinion about this, since I will never understand what it’s like to live with a disability. So I truly get why people really do not like this book, I recognize that and accept those reasons.

I think one of the reasons that I did like this novel was because I felt like I could relate to Lou so much. Being in my mid-twenties I’m having a hard time relating to book protagonists, because on one hand I have teens in YA novel (which I love) and on the other hand I have older women that I can’t really relate to in adult novels. Lou was around my age, and I could really relate to her state of not really being sure what she wanted to do with her life. I’m not a very ambitious person; it’s just not my personality, so I could really relate to her apathy towards doing anything with her life.

I really liked the writing in this novel, and I found that I could really picture Lou and her family. These characters seemed so real to me. I think this might be another reason why I liked this novel, because I just got so into these characters lives and I wanted to know more about them.  I also couldn’t stop reading this book because I just wanted to find out what was going to happen.  I needed to know!

I can’t really say much more without giving away the ending, but I was a little disappointed with the ending of this novel. It’s the ending that I have some problems with, and is why I can see why there is so much backlash from this novel.

All in all, I did enjoy this novel. It’s one of those stories that I like enough but I know that there are things about it that should be different. But like I said, it’s not a crime to like a book that has faults!

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on its controversial subject? Have you decided not to read it because of these issues? 

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow