Monday, June 6, 2016

Deanna Listens: Anomaly Podcast


Deanna Listens is a monthly feature on the first Monday of every month I created to showcase some of my favorite podcasts. This month I wanted to feature the Anomaly Podcast.

I started listening to the Anomaly Podcast because Jen from The Star Wars Stacks is the cofounder and I really enjoy getting other girl geeks' opinions. The whole point of the show is delving into the geek world from the female perspective. Fandom can seem very one-sided and women can be treated a certain way in this community, so I think it's awesome that there is a podcast & blog platform to showcase the female perspective in the geek community. I like that their whole schtick is that they don't want to be pigeonholed to one thing they enjoy. Yes! Because people are complex and loving geek culture doesn't mean it's your whole life. I mean sometimes it is, but not always!

Anomaly does a lot of discussion posts, sometimes they do interviews, but I also really enjoy the supplemental shows that Sue and KC normally host. They are always topics that I would have never thought to listen to or have discussions about. Like when they discussed Lilo & Stitch, which is actually one of my favorite episodes. 

I listen to the show on stitcher which sometimes is annoying because Stitcher doesn't seem to have all of their episodes. However, Anomaly has been re-releasing some archived episodes so I've been able to experience older stuff from a new perspective. 


A few of my favorite episodes:

If you are interested in any sort of geek culture (Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel TV shows, etc) I would recommend listening to this podcast. I think they do a good job at discussing these things, while also recognizing when there are faults within the fandoms we love. I think it's important to not just Fangirl over everything, but to really dissect the entertainment we are delving into.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow