Friday, May 20, 2016

Audiobook Review: The Cuckoo's Calling

The Cuckoo's Calling By Robert Galbraith
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Release Date: May 16th, 2013
Format: Audiobook narrated by Robert Glenister
My Rating: ★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this. Introducing Cormoran Strike, this is the acclaimed first crime novel by J.K. Rowling, writing under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.
First of all let's get the J.K. Rowling discussion out of the way. Robert Galbraith is the pen name that J.K Rowling wrote this novel and its sequels under, and I completely understand why she chose to do this. This novel is a huge departure from the Harry Potter series, is it very adult and has a lot of swearing, so I get that she wanted to separate herself from this novel. I also think it was so young kids wouldn't pick up this novel after reading Harry Potter and think it was age appropriate for them, because it's definitely an adult novel.

I like a good murder mystery, so I really enjoyed the journey of this story. I did figure out who did it immediately, but second guessed myself and thought they didn't do it, but turns out in the end I was right. I could never be a detective, I would suck at it. So it may be a little predictable for readers that read a lot of mysterious, but I still enjoyed how Strike puts all the pieces together.

I really enjoyed the character development in this novel. I found that both Cormoran and his assistant Robin were pretty well rounded. Cormoran is this big physical guy so you think he's all macho, but we really get to see that even though he's a decent private eye, he is a pretty damaged character. He's a mess, and I thought that was a really nice way to show how complex a person can be. I'm really interesting to see how he develops more in this series. Robin ends up working for Cormoran by accident when she is sent by a temp agency, even though he can't afford her. I found her wit and ability to think on her feet was so refreshing. Cormoran comes to rely on her a lot, and I think the two of them need each other for their own personal development. I like that we see a character that takes a job solely because her heart is in the work and not because of money.

The narrator of this audiobook really made this book for me. He did a really good job of not only narrating this book but also using the different accents. It helped to really get a feel for all the different characters that Cormoran meets while he investigates this case. This was definitely something that made the audiobook worth listening to, because I wouldn't have gotten this feel had I just read the book.

If you're a fan of a good mystery story, I would recommend this one. I am definitely looking forward to reading the next one.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow