Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Strong Female Protagonist

Strong Female Protagonist
Publisher: Top Shelf Productions
Release Date: November 25th, 2014
Format: Paperback 220 pages
My Rating: ★★ 1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
With superstrength and invulnerability, Alison Green used to be one of the most powerful superheroes around. 

Fighting crime with other teenagers under the alter ego Mega Girl was fun - until an encounter with Menace, her mind-reading arch enemy, showed her evidence of a sinister conspiracy, and suddenly battling giant robots didn't seem so important. 

Now Alison is going to college and trying to find ways to help the world while still getting to class on time. It's impossible to escape the past, however, and everyone has their own idea of what it means to be a hero.... 

After a phenomenal success on Kickstarter, Brennan Lee Mulligan and Molly Ostertag bring their popular webcomic into print, collecting the first four issues, as well as some all-new, full-color pages!
This is one of the graphic novels that I found out about recently by listening to the Oh, Comics podcast. I was actually surprised I was able to get it so quickly, but I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. I actually read this one in between of reading Fun Home. As you can tell from my review, that book was really heavy, so I found myself drawn to other books to read as I couldn't read it all in one sitting. I flocked to this one in between because I just found the concept so much more interesting.

The plot of this one is that Alison is an ex-superhero who is just trying to be a normal college girl. I do like that she still uses her super strength to help people since she's a fire fighter, and when you get down to the core of the plot the reason she unmasks herself is because of politics. Because when she does have a last show down with her nemesis Menace he opens her eyes to a lot of things. The government hasn't been telling the super humans a lot of things, and why are they so carefully watched? The conspiracy theorist in me loved that.

The setting was in this weird alternate universe where a bunch of teens born in the early '90s got super powers. It's never really explained how this happened, but I think it's something that the author is planning on going into later on in the series. It was set in modern times in a world really similar to ours, so I thought it was really relatable.

One thing that I have to say that did really bother me about this book was the footnotes. At first I didn't noticed the author footnotes at the bottom of each page, so once I did went back and read them. At first they seemed interesting and gave me an insight on where this story was going, but towards the end I found them really distracting. I didn't find they were necessary to the story, and it felt like the author was just trying to be too clever by inserting himself into the story more. The writing of the book was good enough that it really didn't need that. By the end, I just stopped reading them. I don't think this is a deal breaker, so if they bother you too, I would suggest just ignoring them.

I think if you want to read a superhero story outside of the Big 2 stories, this one is for you. It's very political and deals a lot with self-sacrifice and doing things for the greater good, which is a theme I really enjoy in comics.

Don't forget about my Comic Book Month Giveaway!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow