Friday, April 29, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Saga Vol. 5

Saga Vol. 4 By Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: September 9th, 2015
Format: Paperback 152 pages
My Rating: ★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

Multiple storylines collide in this cosmos-spanning new volume. While Gwendolyn and Lying Cat risk everything to find a cure for The Will, Marko makes an uneasy alliance with Prince Robot IV to find their missing children, who are trapped on a strange world with terrifying new enemies. Collects Saga #25-30.

My Reviews for Vol.1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3 & Vol. 4

So I finally finished all the trades that I had of Saga (I think Vol. 6 isn't quite out yet) and now I don't know what to do with my life. No seriously, I don't have any more Saga? What am I to do?

I like that in this issue, some of the things that bothered me were addressed. I had a problem with Alanna's drug use, so I'm glad we do see some repercussions from that. We actually see Marko also take drugs at one point (which I didn't like) and it messes him up really bad. I like that the author showed the reality of drugs and how it can change people and put them in bad situations. 

We also get introduced to a new group of enemies in this volume, The Last Revolution...and they are a bunch of asshats. They are painted as this group that all they want to do is stop all the fighting, but they are basically terrorists and cause a lot more damage than good. They come when Dengo calls them, but he thinks they are really good and will be the cause to end the war. It seems like they just cause separate issues, since they are trying to negotiate with Wreath to give them Hazel, and it only goes to crap when Wreath sees they are working with someone from the robot kingdom. There are a lot of prejudices in this world, and ultimately I think it's a way to show how messes up our own society still is. War is not fair, and I like that we see that in many different ways in this series.

This volume was pretty action-packed and there were a few gruesome deaths in this one. I do like that this comic doesn't shy away from the gore that comes with living during  a time of war.  War is bloody and messy, and a lot of the people that get hurt from it are not necessarily always soldiers that are fighting each other. 

The ending of this volume leaves a lot of questions that made me want to pick up the next volume...but I can't because it's not out yet! We are left with seeing Hazel a little bit older, and in a prison for children (a classroom) and we don't really know how she ended up there. I'm excited to see how that is discovered in the next volume.

I love this series, and would highly recommend it to everyone I meet! READ IT NOW!!!

Don't forget about my Comic Book Month Giveaway ending soon!


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow