Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Saga Vol. 3

Saga Vol. 3 By Brian K. Vaughan
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: March 25th, 2014
Format: Paperback 144 pages
My Rating: ★★ 

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
From the Hugo Award-winning duo of Brian K. Vaughan (The Private Eye, Y: The Last Man) and Fiona Staples (North 40, Red Sonja), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. Searching for their literary hero, new parents Marko and Alana travel to a cosmic lighthouse on the planet Quietus, while the couple's multiple pursuers finally close in on their targets.

See my reviews for Volume 1 and Volume 2 here.

What I like about Saga is that is really is about the human experience, even if it's told by non-human beings. The third volume deals a lot with loss and how people try to overcome it. I think that Brian K. Vaughan is trying to ask if we ever really do get over things.

The overarching theme of this series has always been about sacrifice. I think the tagline for it should be, "What would you sacrifice for the ones you love?" There's a  lot of sacrifice and loss, and characters die when you aren't expecting it. I really love that about this series, because people die and you love and you lose and that's what life is about. And there's nothing you can do about it but pick yourself off and trek on. This book gets pretty philosophical at times, and in this one we hear a lot about how "Peace isn't the opposite of war." When you find out what really is the opposite of war, it seems so ridiculous. But the more I thought about it, the more what Heist says is right. Hear me out once you get to that part and really think about it. 

We get to know The Will, Gwendolyn and Sophie a little more in this volume. I know that Hazel and her parents are supposed to be the main focus, but I also like that we see these little slivers of life from the other side. Vaughan tries to show us all the sides to we can see why these waring cultures think the way they do. Nothing is ever quite black and white, especially in war. Gwendolyn has kind of grown on me, but I didn't 100% believe that she actually had feelings for The Will. I just don't think it was that strong of a relationship, but I am interested to see how that plays out in the other volumes. Maybe it's just hard for me to see other romances when I find Marko and Alana's to be one of the most compelling romances in a long time. They are true OTP worthy.

This volume had a lot of action, so it will definitely hold your interest. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be continuing this series...but in case you are still unsure I highly recommend this series. Read this entire series!!

Don't forget about my Comic Book Month Giveaway!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow