Friday, April 8, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Nimona

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: May 12th, 2015
Format: Hardback, 266 pages
My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.
I sought out this book after hearing so many great things about it. Nimona was originally a webcomic and was put together in this graphic novel version with an added epilogue. I genuinely really enjoyed this one. I wasn't sure what this was going to be like, but when Nimona is arguing with Blackheart to become his sidekick and then says "I'm not a kid I'm a Shark!" that's when I knew I was going to love this one. Once I stopped cackling from laughter. 
Nimona Page 2

I laughed a lot while I read this one, because Nimona is just so ridiculous! I enjoyed her crazy schemes and how Blackheart just kind of puts up with her. Although deep down he does really love and appreciate her friendship, which is something he totally needed in his life. The ending does get really sad, because we don't really know WHAT Nimona is exactly or what happens to her. Her life is a mystery, even to Blackheart and that never really gets resolved.

So I'm 95% sure that Blackheart and Goldenloin were a couple, or that Goldenloin wanted to be with Blackheart and that's why the institute planned Blackheart's accident. It's never really stated, but I thought it was pretty obvious there was something other than friendship going on there, which I loved!

I think the only thing I didn't like about this one was that it was over! I wanted to read more! I wanted to see more adventures with Nimona and Blackheart, or to just see where her story went after her adventure with Blackheart was over. I highly recommend this one!

Don't forget about my Comic Book Month Giveaway!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow