Friday, April 22, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Lumberjanes Vol.1 Beware the Kitten Holy

Lumberjane Vol. 1 By Noelle Stevenson, Maarta Laiho & Grace Ellis. 
Illustrated by Brooke A. Allen
Publisher: BOOM! Box
Release Date: April 7th, 2015
Format: Paperback 128 pages
My Rating: ★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
At Miss Qiunzilla Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's camp for hard-core lady-types, things are not what they seem. Three-eyed foxes. Secret caves. Anagrams. Luckily, Jo, April, Mal, Molly, and Ripley are five rad, butt-kicking best pals determined to have an awesome summer together... And they're not gonna let a magical quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! The mystery keeps getting bigger, and it all begins here.
Lumberjanes was a quirky, fun read that I found easy to follow. I did enjoy this one, but I don't think it completely wowed me. I think part of the problem was that I loved Noelle Stevenson's Nimona so much that I had high expectations for her other project. 

Shenanigans should be the slogan for this comic. The 5 friends in this one get up to a lot of crazy shenanigans in this from finding three-eyed foxes, to getting lost in a mysterious cave to bribing yetis with cookies. SHENANIGANS! I think it was all these weird fantastical things in the plot that kept my interest, because this was not what I was expecting. 

The thing I did like the most about this book was that it reinforced the idea of positive female friendships. Here is this group of girls that are all different with their own personalities and strengths, but they know how to work together to reach their common goal without tearing each other down. Women should be building each other up, and this comic definitely enforces that idea. It was definitely a very "GIRL POWER!" message, which I really enjoyed. 

I also liked that some of the girls had some traits that aren't normally associated with female characters. Like Jo who gets them out of the cave by her math knowledge. I'm bad at math, but I think it's really important for girls to be exposed to the idea that math is cool. Also April is unconventionally strong, as she destroys a statue in an arm-wrestling match, in another test for the group to get out of the mysterious cave they fall into. Having the girls figure out how to get themselves out of the weird situation they get themselves in was important to me. These girls are independent and they can do anything. 

If you're looking for a quick comic book with adventure and shenanigans this one is for you. I liked it enough, but I just didn't get that "OMG THIS IS AMAZING" feeling that I got with Nimona. I really try not to compare authors works to each other, especially if they are not in the same universe, but sometimes I have a really hard time with that.  

Did you read Lumberjanes? What are you thoughts? Do you have a favorite scene from this collection?

Don't forget about my Comic Book Month Giveaway!


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow