Monday, March 21, 2016

Audiobook Review: Fever 1793

Fever 1793 By Laurie Halse Anderson
Publisher: Listening Library
Release Date: April 24th, 2007
Format: Audiobook narrated by Emily Bergl

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

During the summer of 1793, Mattie Cook lives above the family coffee shop with her widowed mother and grandfather. Mattie spends her days avoiding chores and making plans to turn the family business into the finest Philadelphia has ever seen. But then the fever breaks out.

Disease sweeps the streets, destroying everything in its path and turning Mattie's world upside down. At her feverish mother's insistence, Mattie flees the city with her grandfather. But she soon discovers that the sickness is everywhere, and Mattie must learn quickly how to survive in a city turned frantic with disease.
Okay, I have to admit, I wasn't really that into this book. I really like Laurie Halse Anderson, so I thought I would finally give this one a try, but I think this book just wasn't for me. It was okay, but didn't overwhelm me with awesomeness like her books normally do. It's definitely for people that like historical fiction set during the American Revolution, which is definitely NOT ME.

So one reason I really couldn't get into it was because of the time period. I'm not really that into this time period, and I think I only picked this one up because it was written by Anderson and it was set in Philadelphia. My city is rich with history, but I feel like this book didn't give it much justice.

The other reason I just wasn't that wowed by this one was the narrator. I feel like she tried a little too hard to make her voice sound like in the time period, and she ended up speaking with a light southern accent which just really bothered me. I know she wouldn't have a modern Philly accent, but it just seemed off-putting to me. Overall I just didn't really care for how she delivered the lines. I think I would have liked this one way better had I just read the actual book instead of listening to the audiobook. Sometimes I am really picky when it comes to narrators, which I find is a huge problem for me.

I feel like I'm turning a lot of people off from this book, but I think a lot of these reasons for not really loving this book are specific to me. This book is about a real epidemic that happened in Philadelphia, so if you really want to see that from a teenager's eyes I would highly recommend it. It's not a bad book, it's a short read that I did enjoy, but just not as much as I thought I would. There is definitely an audience for this novel, but that just doesn't include me. If you really enjoy American Revolution historical fiction, I would highly recommend this one to you.


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow