Thursday, February 11, 2016

Review: Paper Towns

Paper Towns
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: September 22, 2009
Format: Paperback, 305 pages

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...
So let's discuss that a 3-star review doesn't necessarily mean that a book was bad. For me it just means that a book is just okay and that it didn't wow me. Paper Towns is just an okay book. There was nothing about it that made me go, "Oh my god, everyone must read this!!!!" I didn't want to force it on all my friends or bore my boyfriend while I gushes about it. It just didn't really do that for me. That being said, it was not a bad book, and I still found it to be mildly entertaining.

I get why a lot of people like this book, and why they like to read John Green, but I think I'm kind of over him. I just feel like I keep on reading the same story with the same pretentious characters. All his books sound too similar, and I'm just not really enjoying it as much. When I read Paper Towns, I just felt like I had read this book before, so I wasn't that invested in it.

The thing I did like about this book was the mystery and the suspense. When Q was trying to figure out where Margo went that was what I was interested in. I loved the mystery and the weird clues she left. I found it so interesting how Q was trying to put the pieces all together. I think I liked the process of it more than the actual finding of Margo, because when the book gets to the road trip climax, I didn't really care that much.

I actually found the climax of this novel to be pretty mundane. I didn't need a hour-by-hour breakdown of the road trip from Florida to upstate New York. Other than the almost collision that happens, it was pretty boring. I think part of this wasn't the writing, but more that I had grow weary of Q's devotion to Margo. Why did he like this girl so much? I thought she was kind of a brat, and I just didn't really get what was so great about her. I think he put her on the Manic Pixie Dream Girl pedestal way to much and it just bothered me a lot. I know I have read from other bloggers that they thought she was supposed to subvert that trope, but I just didn't see. I felt like everything she did enforced the trope, and I just didn't care for it.

Overall the book was easy to get through and an enjoyable read, but not something that I would revisit. I think if you like John Green and want to read more of his books I would recommend this one over any others, especially An Abundance of Katherines, but that's a review for another time.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow