Friday, February 12, 2016

Graphic Novel Review: Saga Vol.2

Saga Vol.2 By Brian K Vaughan & Fiona Staples
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: July 22nd, 2013
Format: Comic, 169 pages

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
From award-winning writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN (Pride of Baghdad, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist FIONA STAPLES (Mystery Society, Done to Death), SAGA is sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. Thanks to her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana, newborn baby Hazel has already survived lethal assassins, rampaging armies, and horrific monsters, but in the cold vastness of outer space, the little girl encounters her strangest adventure yet... grandparents. 
So I really toyed with how I was going to rate the second installment of Saga. I loved the first one so of course I gave it 5 stars, but did I love the second one just as much? I debated a lot between 4-stars, 4 1/2-stars, but then I finally just thought "Yes, this is deserving of a 5-star review, because I did love this one just as much as the first."

I don't think there is really anything out there quite like this story, and I just love it so much. I find all the characters so relatable, especially Alanna. I am very much a fan of the Star Crossed Lovers trope so I love that this is the center of the story. Alanna and Marko's story has always reminded me a little of John Crichton & Aeryn Sun from Farscape, which is probably why I find their love story so realistic.

At it's heart Saga is about a family and how they overcome their differences. I really thought the scenes with Alanna and Barr were really touching. Barr seemed to really warm up to her and see her not just as the enemy but as a person. I thought that was really sweet, and I am hoping to see Marko's mother start to come around to her too. I think these scenes are so realistic because we see how terrified Alanna is of being a parent, and Barr is able to tell her that everyone feels that way and it's normal to not really know what you are doing. You have to raise a child first to figure out how to raise one.

*WARNING Slight spoiler below*

I also really enjoy that the overall theme of this book is that war accomplishes nothing. Every time I think I would side with Wreath, they do something equally as atrocious as Landfall. *There is one scene in this book that really landed that home for me. It was a flashback of Prince Robot IV, and we see a Landfall medic die because Landfall didn't give her a gas mask. That scene really jarred me and I couldn't stop thinking about how terrible it was. She wasn't of the planet but was helping them in their fight, but they didn't provide her with necessary supplies, but at the same time it was Wreath that really caused her death.* They both do terrible things, and I think the point here is that neither side is right and neither will win this unwinnable war.

Man this series is just amazing, and if you aren't reading this yet...what the hell is wrong with you??? I highly recommend this for fans of Rat Queens and Sci-Fi in general.

Happy Reads Everyone!

Follow