Monday, February 29, 2016

Audiobook Review: Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Random House Audio
Release Date: September 26th, 2006
Format: Audiobook narrated by Ann Marie Lee
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
WICKED above her hipbone, GIRL across her heart 
Words are like a road map to reporter Camille Preaker’s troubled past. Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, Camille’s first assignment from the second-rate daily paper where she works brings her reluctantly back to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls.

NASTY on her kneecap, BABYDOLL on her leg 
Since she left town eight years ago, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed again in her family’s Victorian mansion, Camille is haunted by the childhood tragedy she has spent her whole life trying to cut from her memory.

HARMFUL on her wrist, WHORE on her ankle 
As Camille works to uncover the truth about these violent crimes, she finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Clues keep leading to dead ends, forcing Camille to unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past to get at the story. Dogged by her own demons, Camille will have to confront what happened to her years before if she wants to survive this homecoming.
I read Gone Girl last year and although I didn't particularly care for the plot and I hated the characters, I knew that Gillian Flynn could write a story. So I wanted to try one of her other books. I remembered a coworker mentioning she liked Sharp Objects a lot, and I'm really glad I tried this one. 

This book made me feel really uncomfortable, but I get that is the point it. This one is really disturbing and deals with a lot of heavy themes like self-harm, child abuse and child murder. So if any of those things are something you can't read in a book I would shy away from this one. Everyone in this book has problems and although I liked Camille way better than Amy or Nick from Gone Girl she still was a flawed character. You have to feel for her for everything she goes through, but you also have to realize that certain things she says stems from her fucked up childhood. 

Camille suffers a lot over survivor's guilt as her little sister died when she was just a kid. She tries to mask that with cutting herself and when she realizes she can't do that she drinks to forget why she likes to cut words into her skin. Camille is basically a functioning alcoholic who has to return home to her dysfunction family and it really takes a lot out of her. 

I found at times when we learn more about her childhood that she became unlikeable. There is a particular scene in the book when she talks with a detective about an eighth grade girl who got drunk at a party  and was passed around by a bunch of high school boys. The detective's reaction is the natural one about how that is so horrible, but Camille says he is sexist and we find out that the girl was her. I think Camille never came to terms with the sexist community she grew up in, and I don't really think she ever came to terms with what happened to her. At first this made me want to shake her, but then I realized that this woman has issues that she has never addressed and she is still hurting from them.

I can't really say that much more about this book without giving away some massive spoilers, but I feel say that this one did not end up the way I thought. I was not expecting the killer to be who it actually was. This one definitely kept me in suspense.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow