Thursday, February 4, 2016

Audiobook Review: Brother Odd

Brother Odd
Publisher: Random House Audio
Release Date: November 28th, 2006
Format: Audiobook narrated by David Aaron Baker
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
No one could have imagined Odd Thomas ever leaving the perfect, quirky comfort of Pico Mundo, least of all Odd himself. The little desert town that nurtured Odd all his life is the locus of everything he holds dear: his loyal friends, his ghostly confidants, and the place where he loved and lost his soul mate, the irreplaceable Stormy Llewellyn. Yet leave it he has, to embrace the solitude and peace of an isolated monastery high in the western mountains as he tries to find a way to live fully again.

But Odd has a knack for finding himself in the path of trouble no matter where he goes — even among the eccentric monks in their sanctuary and with his steady spirit companion, the King of Rock 'n' Roll, at his side. For a killer is stalking the ancient holy halls, and Odd is about to meet an enemy who eclipses any he has yet encountered.
Reading the third installment of this series, made me realize how much I actually didn't like the second book. The second book seemed like it was put together too quickly, as if Koontz never intended to make this a series but the publisher wanted more of this book. Brother Odd felt more fleshed out.

As strange as it seems I think I actually prefer the audiobook version of this series. I just really enjoy David Aaron Baker's narration. With the first book I wasn't so sure if he had the right voice for Odd, but now that I've listened to this book and I've started the 4th installment as an audiobook, I believe he does a really good job of getting me into the story. Odd's voice in my head should be Baker's so I am trying to see how many of the audiobooks I can get my hands on.

This book got way more weird the first two as we find out that Brother John (a former physicist) played with reality and created this weird creature that starts destroying everything. He's basically the reason that Odd is stuck in the predicament he gets himself into in this book. Dude was straight up crazy-town! He used science to play God and it gets innocent people hurt, as well as puts others at risk. I think this book definitely showed that Odd really is the hero and he does want to save everyone, even if he just feels like he's just some guy. He's really not though, he is really something else.

Elvis makes another appearance in this novel. If I remember correctly this might be the most we see of Odd's ghostly companion in this series. I think one of my favorite parts of this book is that Odd gets another ghostly companion, the ghost dog that he dubs Boo. Odd does question how Boo is a ghost, but in the end he just goes with it content to have another companion.

I have to admit that the first book is still my favorite, but if you had any doubts after reading the second book, I would give this series another chance by picking up the third installment.


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow