Friday, January 1, 2016

Review: So, Anyway...

So, Anyway... By John Cleese
Publisher: Crown* 
Release Date: September, 29th 2015
Format: Paperback, 400 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

Candid and brilliantly funny, this is the story of how a tall, shy youth from Weston-super-Mare went on to become a self-confessed legend. En route, John Cleese describes his nerve-racking first public appearance, at St Peter’s Preparatory School at the age of eight and five-sixths; his endlessly peripatetic home life with parents who seemed incapable of staying in any house for longer than six months; his first experiences in the world of work as a teacher who knew nothing about the subjects he was expected to teach; his hamster-owning days at Cambridge; and his first encounter with the man who would be his writing partner for over two decades, Graham Chapman. And so on to his dizzying ascent via scriptwriting for Peter Sellers, David Frost, Marty Feldman and others to the heights of Monty Python.


Punctuated from time to time with John Cleese’s thoughts on topics as diverse as the nature of comedy, the relative merits of cricket and waterskiing, and the importance of knowing the dates of all the kings and queens of England, this is a masterly performance by a former schoolmaster.
I hate to admit it, but this book was not what I expected, and I don't mean that in a good way. Once I finally finished this book I was relieved because it was finally over. Unfortunately, this one was a huge disappointment for me. I think part of the problem was that I thought it was going to talk more about Cleese's days with Mothy Python, and he barely touched on it in this book, so I was really disappointed in it. 

I think the main reason I just could not get into this book was the writing style. It was very dull to me. For the most part Cleese spent a long time talking about his childhood and he kept hinting about his strained relationship with his mother, but I don't feel like he went into much detail about it. I just wanted more about that, and I felt let down. I thought this section of the novel where he talked about his childhood leading up to going to Law school was so boring. I could not get into it, and made me dread reading this book. Seriously, this book took me way too long!

About halfway into the book it started to get more interesting when Cleese starts talking about how he left Law School, and starting doing more acting and writing. That was all interesting, but they way he wrote about it made it sound so boring! I think I just really wanted to get to him talking about Python, and I think there was only two chapters dedicated to it so I was extremely disappointed once I finished this book.

This book is definitely more of autobiography than a memoir, and it just wasn't what I was looking for. It may have been just me, but I just could not get into it, and I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it. 


*I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow