Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Video Game Review: Mass Effect




I think you guys might me sick of hearing me talk about Mass Effect, but suck it up because now I'm finally going to write a review about it. But let me just put a disclaimer on this review first, I don't consider myself a gamer. At least not yet. The last time I played a console game was Spyro: Year of The Dragon, so for me to go from that to Mass Effect it was a huge jump. There was a lot to get used to, so I don't have much to compare this game to any other game I've played before. That being said...

DUDE! I freaking love Mass Effect!!!

So much that I dressed up as Commander Shepard (Femshep obviously) for Halloween.

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite halloween party on the Citadel

I love this game so freaking much. So, okay why did I love this game? Well...it's basically Star Trek the game. The Alliance Navy is pretty much the Federation, and you see a lot of sci-fi tropes within the game itself that made me love it. I didn't find it trite, I found it pretty meta and awesome. Also, the voice actor for Femshep is amazing so I loved playing as her. (I tried to do a play through as the male Shepard, but I was never satisfied with his looks.)

The game is awesome because you get to run around on different planets with a crew of aliens that you gather along the way to take down a ton of robots and the big bad Saren. Dude, Saren is straight up crazy town. There is also a lot of crazy things that happen in the game, and I won't get into because I don't want to give away any spoilers. I love the different aliens on my crew, and I actually found them all to be way more interesting than the human characters. Especially since Ashley, the human you find early on in the game, is kind of racist against the aliens. Like, hey bitch is your name Commander Shepard? Nope? Then shut up and work with the aliens.

I also loved that you can choose different powers or talents depending on the class you chose in the beginning of the game. I'm actually doing a renegade play through right now and I purposely chose a different origin and class so that I could experience a different game. I think you could actually have a different experience each time you play this game if you change up the origins, class and oh yeah make a lot of different choices. Choices matter in this game. I like that you have the option to settle things peacefully or just can just kill everyone and be a dick. Sometimes I find it hard, but other times it's actually a lot of fun. In this game some of the choices will affect the later games, and it made me really invested in the game and trying to do the right thing at all costs. I also like that there is a romance option in this game, because not everything is about saving the galaxy. Sometimes you also have to sleep with the alien, or the boring human. But dude, choose the alien.

My favorite things about this game are Joker and Garrus Vakarian. Joker is awesome and he's voiced by Seth Green which just made me love him more. He's the much needed comic relief, and he basically says what I am always thinking. Garrus is just my favorite companion, but unfortunately he's not a romance option in the first game. Boo! Garrus is Shep's buddy and always has his/her back no matter which gender Shep you play as. That dinosaur bird is just great.

Before I played Mass Effect 2, I would have given this a 5-star review, but there is a small problem with this game...okay a big problem... the controls are so wack. I got really used to them so it wasn't an issue for me in the first game, but if you're a regular gamer it will definitely frustrate you. The other issue is the Mako. Seriously, can anyone drive that thing properly? That thing sucks. I'm so glad after the first game I never had to get in that thing ever again! I would have been more pissed at the end of Mass Effect 3 if you had to get back into that stupid thing. That would have been a worse ending, but we'll get to that later.

So I love this game so much, and I'm really glad that playing this game really made me get back into gaming. Have you played the first Mass Effect game? What did you think of it?

My Rating: ★★

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow