Monday, November 23, 2015

Reread Review: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Publisher: Del Ray Books
Release Date: September, 27th 1995
Format: Mass market paperback, 216 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years.

I first read the first installment of Hitchhiker's Guide a long time ago, but I recently purchased the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide version so I could have the whole collection, and decided to take it with me on vacation. I only got through the first book, so I wanted to write my first ever reread review on this blog for Sci-Fi Month.

I think when I was a kid I missed a lot of the jokes in this book, because reading this again as a adult I was laughing at a lot of things I didn't before. The whole concept of the earth being demolished for room for a Galactic Freeway is just so funny to me. I have a lot of friends that don't care for this book because of its overt "Britishness" but I've never really had a problem with that, and I didn't find that an issue in my second read through either.

One thing I guess I forgot about was just how short this novel is. I was expecting more from it, and I kind of forgot how it just ends. The ending leaves a lot hanging in the air. I do remember reading the second installment immediately after the first, so I kind of understand why I did so. You just have to find out what is going to happen!

All in all, upon a second review I found that I still really enjoyed this book. It's a short read, but a lot happens in it. I'm glad that I have the rest of the series so that I can eventually finish the whole thing. I'm pretty certain that I've only read the first three novels in the series, so I'm excited to continue on with the series again.

I think if you missed this book in the past, that you should definitely give it a try. I feel like this series has started to enter the classic genre, and I definitely think that everyone should read at least the first one.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow