Monday, November 9, 2015

How Ready Player One Affected My Life




A while ago I listened to the audio book of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, and I absolutely loved it. I kind of wished I had waited to write my review of it for Sci-Fi Month, but I did not think that far ahead. However, since we are talking about all things Sci-Fi this month, I wanted to talk about how this book affected me.

I've read a lot of negative reviews about how this book is what is wrong with gaming culture, and how without all the 80s references you wouldn't really have a good plot. I understand all those things, but I literally do not care because this book really spoke to me. And by spoke to me, it really made me want to get back into gaming again.

So here's the deal, back in the day of play station one I played the shit out of the Spyro the Dragon games. I loved those games. At this point in time they kept putting out new consoles almost every year and I think my parents were like, "We're not buying another console" so I guess that was the end of my gaming. I mean I still had my gameboy color so I did play Pokemon Blue A LOT, but I kind of lost touch with gaming. Until I moved in with my long-term boyfriend. He's a big gamer and in the five years that we have been together he has been trying desperately to get me into gaming, and well he succeeded, because I have finally succumbed.

Reading about Wade in the Oasis just really wanted me to experience that. The games they played sounded awesome, and I guess I always knew that had I got interested in World of Warcraft that probably would have taken over my life. So I said to my boyfriend, "Okay, I want to try playing Mass Effect again." That was back in July, and I've already finished the whole trilogy, started a renegade replay and started playing the same company's other game Dragon Age. That would probably explain why I was so absent on the blog in October. I don't know if I would have tried it again had I not read Cline's book. I just absolutely loved it and it made me realize how much I did miss gaming in my life. Now I just have to figure out the balance between reading and gaming.

I don't care what the naysayers have to say about RPO, I thought it was such a fun book to read, and it brought me back to a pass time that I can enjoy again. 


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow