Thursday, November 12, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Star Wars Legends Epic Collection, The New Republic

Star Wars Epic Collection: The New Republic
Publisher: Marvel
Release Date: March, 26th 2015
Format: Softback, 488 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★
Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

When the Empire falls, a New Republic rises! After Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, Emperor Palpatine is dead — but can his faithful Hand, Mara Jade, complete her final mission of revenge? Replica droid assassin Guri has also lost her master…but as she struggles for humanity, her android brain makes her a target! When rivals clash over Jabba the Hutt’s criminal empire, the Bloated One makes a surprising appearance! And a mysterious doppelganger is asking for trouble impersonating everyone’s favorite bounty hunter — it’s Boba Fett vs. Boba Fett!

So...I really love the Star Wars Expanded Universe (now the not canon "legends" alternative timeline books), and I love Mara Jade, the original character that Timothy Zahn created in the Hand of Thrawn novels. So of course I always had this comic on my list to own/read. The comic starts off strong with six issues of Mara Jade comics, which I have to admit were my favorite in this one. I loved the plot line and how she just kicked ass and took names, and I was really fond of the artwork.

I ended up liking a lot of the other comics, and thought it was interesting that some of these explored stories outside of the three heroes. Like what happens to one of the guards from Jabba's palace after his demise, and what happens to some of Jabba's other smugglers.  I also loved the Shadows of the Empire comics. Like the Mara Jade comics, I loved both the artwork and the plot equally. 

Some of the stories didn't grab me, and I think it was because of the artwork. One was the Do Or Do Not comic. The art didn't really look like the characters, and it was so short that it didn't really seem like it had a point. The other one that I wasn't really fond of due to the art was Lando's Commandos On Eagles' Wings. The plot on this one was interesting but the artwork just looked like Invader Zim, which made it seem out of place. 

Besides a few nit-picky things from me, I really enjoyed this comic. It's a pretty thick book, and it was a little pricy because it is all in color, but it was totally worth it. My love of Star Wars has no chance of dying, so I might be a little biased with this review. If you're a fan of the expanded universe or good comics I recommend it.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow