Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Graphic Novel Review: Saga Vol.1

Saga Vol. 1 By Brian K. Vaughan
Publisher: Image Comics
Release Date: October, 23rd 2012
Format: Comic
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. 

From bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan, Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults. 
Oh man, I had heard from so many people that I should read Saga, but I just kept putting it off. But with Sci-Fi Month starting again, I decided to finally take a crack at this comic and I am so glad I did. I freaking loved this comic, and I'm just mad that I don't have the second volume in my possession right now.

This comic book is great because the romance is of star-crossed lovers from different sides of a war, which I freaking love. It's also deals a lot with being a new parent and how you have no idea what the hell you are doing. It does take a village to raise a child, and you do need help. Only Marcus and Alana have a spirit as a babysitter. Oh right, on top of the great relationship dynamic this comic is full of weird fantasy and sci-fi elements. I think the blending of the two genres makes this story perfect.

I do feel like I have to say these though, this one is not for children or for anyone that gets uncomfortable with nudity in comics books. There is a scene in this novel where a side-character goes to a pleasure planet so those panels get pretty graphic, and pretty freaking weird. Like you have no idea, and I don't think I can even prepare you for that weird section.

I adored the story in this one, and I just wanted to keep reading on to find out if the two lovers were going to get caught, but it wasn't just plot that kept me going. I did really like the artwork. The colors were very vibrant, and it kept me interested in actually looking at the panels and not just reading the thought/speech bubbles.

If you like delightfully weird sci-fi and you have an interest in comics book, please go and buy the first issue now!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow