Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Audiobook Review: Talon

Talon By Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Blackstone Audio
Release Date: October 28th, 2014
Format: Audiobook narrated by Caitlin Davies, Macleod Andrews & Chris Patton
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

In Julie Kagawa's groundbreaking modern fantasy series, dragons walk among us in human form.

Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have becomestrong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey - and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence, and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the order has ingrained in him - and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.
Remember when I said I was breaking up with audiobooks? Yeah I'm a freaking liar. So after a tiny break from audiobooks I decided to give Talon by Julie Kagawa a shot, and I really enjoyed it. I think it helped that it wasn't just one narrator for the three different perspectives, although every time one of the male narrators did their impression of Ember I thought it was terrible. 

 I thought the concept of this novel was pretty cool, because when we think about Dragons they are usually the villain. So it was interesting to read about someone who was within this "organization" that was trying to take down humans from the inside. When we think of these mythical creatures we think of man-eating beasts that steal gold, but really they are just creatures that are trying to survive. 

I did really like that Kagawa uses a lot of references to the dragon myths. Saint George, who defeated the dragon in England, became an order that's main purpose was to kill all dragons. I thought that was a nice touch. I also liked that Ember was attracted to shiny things, much like how mythical dragons horde gold and jewels. That part in this novel really made me laugh.

What I didn't really care for in this novel was the love interest. There is kind of a love triangle in this novel, but I was okay with that because Ember is kind of two people in one. Her dragon was attracted to Cobalt/Riley, but her human form was attracted to Garrett, so it kind of made sense. I just didn't care about there being a love interest at all. I just felt like it was unnecessary in this novel. 

I also think I didn't get enough about Talon's organizational structure, and I would have liked to learn more about that. I know that there is a second book out already, so I hope whenever I tackle that one it goes more into detail. 

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow