Thursday, September 24, 2015

Review: Forever Odd

Forever Odd
Publisher: Bantham
Release Date:  2005
Source: Owned
Format: Paperback, 400 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

I see dead people. But then, by God, I do something about it. Odd Thomas never asked for his special ability. He’s just an ordinary guy trying to live a quiet life in the small desert town of Pico Mundo. Yet he feels an obligation to do right by his otherworldly confidants, and that’s why he’s won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death. But when a childhood friend disappears, Odd discovers something worse than a dead body and embarks on a heart-stopping battle of will and wits with an enemy of exceptional cunning. In the hours to come there can be no innocent bystanders, and every sacrifice can tip the balance between despair and hope. 
 
You’re invited on an unforgettable journey through a world of terror and transcendence to wonders beyond imagining. And you can have no better guide than Odd Thomas.
I have to admit that although I really enjoyed this book, I don't think it stacks up to the first novel Odd Thomas. I loved the first novel, but something in this book was just missing. I don't know if this was never intended to be a series and that's why it seems like the writing struggled, but I don't think it was as good as the first book. That being said, I still found it a really enjoyable read and would recommend it to fans of mystery and suspense.

If you're not familiar with Odd Thomas, he's this twenty-something kid from California who can see ghosts, and a lot of times this gets him in trouble. What I love about Odd so much is his wit, and his can do attitude to take on the bad guys even when he really shouldn't. Odd has a calling, and it's was really interesting to see him fighting a different kind of evil in this book. In this book the villain is straight up crazy-town! They seemed to lack something here that the villains in the first novel had, but still I was happy when Odd put them in their place.  

I think one of the reasons I struggled with the book a little is because there is such a high emphasis on Odd's childhood friend Danny being captured. Apparently they had a really close relationship, but there is no mention of him in the first book so I did have to suspend a lot of belief on that plot line. It was hard to care for a character in this book series when we had never heard about him before. I thought it was sloppy that Odd just says that he hadn't spoke about him in his last manuscript because of his grief over what happened in the first novel. That seemed like a cop out to me. 

I blew through this book because I just wanted to get to the end and solve the mystery. I needed to find out who had captured Odd's friend and why? I also wanted to see Odd take them down. So I read this book really quickly, because I just needed to find out how it would all end. The mystery and suspense aspect of the novel was what really keep me wanting to continue reading this book. 

This is my first foray into Dean Koontz, and I do think he writes suspense really well so I think I will continue with this series. 


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow