Friday, September 4, 2015

Audiobook Review: Moon Called

Moon Called By Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Penguin Audiobooks
Release Date:  September 1st, 2009
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook
Narrated by Lorelei King

Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...
My cousin has been telling me about this series for awhile, and I just haven't had the time to get into it yet, so I saw it was available on Overdrive on audio so I figured I would give it a try. I have to say I was really surprised! I don't think I've read a lot of urban fantasy before, but it was a nice change of pace from all the YA fiction I read.

This book does supernatural beings right, and I thought it was so interesting to learn about Walkers. I never heard of Walkers before, so it was new ground for me and it made me really interested to press on with this. I also liked that since Mercy is likely Native America (she doesn't know her father) it wasn't just some other white girl heroine in this novel. Actually Mercy is really much of a heroine. Sure she can save the day, but she also makes a lot of dumb mistakes, and I thought that made her real. We all mess up and we need to fix our mistakes, and that's what Mercy does in this novel.

I also love that Mercy is always making side comments about how Werewolves are kind of sexists, and if she was one she wouldn't put up with that crap. I'm sure this comes with the territory of being a female mechanic named Mercedes. Which I also loved! I don't know anything about cars, but it seemed like Patricia Briggs did her homework on that. 

I felt like this book was so action packed and it really got down to the nitty gritty of the closeted supernatural beings. I really enjoyed this one, and I'm definitely going to continue with this series....eventually!

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow