Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Fairytale Retellings


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely bloggers over at The Broke and The Bookish. This week's topic is ten fairytale retellings you have read or want to read. I actually split this list down the middle, with five fairytale retelling I have already read and five that I want to read.

READ



The Mirk and Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson

I wasn't really a fan of this book, but I think the source materials is pretty interesting. It's based on the Tam Lin fairytale. I wasn't really a fan of putting it in the American South during slavery. 



Splintered By A.G. Howard

This is dark retelling of Alice in Wonderland, which I really loved, but I could have done without the potential love interests. Not sure if I'm going to finish this series, but the imagery in this one was great.



Tiger Lily By Jodi Lynn Anderson

Peter Pan counts as a fairytale right? Tiger Lily is about the native chieftain's daughter but is told in the eyes of Tinkerbell. 


Cinder By Marissa Meyer

Basically the whole Lunar Chronicles counts. I love that Meyer really looked at research and chose to set this one in China. I highly recommend it.


Ash by Malinda Lo

I remember liking this book back when I read it, but now I'm not sure. Even so it's a queer representation of Cinderella, so I think everyone should read it.


WANT TO READ


Cruel Beauty By Rosamund Hodge

Um...beauty and the beast retelling? I have to read that!


Court of Thorns and Roses By Sarah J. Mass 

I haven't gotten to this one yet, but it's another Tam Lin retelling so I'm interested to see if it does the source material justice.


Beastly By Alex Flinn

I saw the movie version of this novel awhile ago and felt rather "meh" about it, but I would like to see if the novel is better.


Of Beast and Beauty By Stacey Jay

Did you guys get it yet that I really like Beauty and the Beast? Here's another retelling of that which I would love to read.


Dorothy Must Die

Wizard of Oz also counts as a fairytale, right? Well it is for me. I missed the bandwagon on this one, so I hope to get to it soon. 

What books are on your list this week?


Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow