Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review: Hold Me Like a Breath

Hold Me Like a Breath
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date:  May 19th, 2015
Source: Doylestown Bookshop
Format: Hardcover, 400 pages

My Rating: ★★


Penelope Landlow has grown up with the knowledge that almost anything can be bought or sold—including body parts. She’s the daughter of one of the three crime families that control the black market for organ transplants.

Penelope’s surrounded by all the suffocating privilege and protection her family can provide, but they can't protect her from the autoimmune disorder that causes her to bruise so easily.

And in her family's line of work no one can be safe forever.

All Penelope has ever wanted is freedom and independence. But when she’s caught in the crossfire as rival families scramble for prominence, she learns that her wishes come with casualties, that betrayal hurts worse than bruises, that love is a risk worth taking . . . and maybe she’s not as fragile as everyone thinks.
Okay, so hear me out on this review, I think this book just wasn't for me. I had read a lot of reviews that weren't positive on this one, and the only reason why I read it was because it was the August pick for my book club. The author is local, but I'm really glad the girl who hosts it decided not to bring her in because there's not much I have to say that is positive. So I'm trying to make this review as critical as possible without sounding unprofessional. I'll also try to make it spoiler free as possible.

So why only two stars? 

It wasn't just that I felt like Penny was a really two-dimensional character; I could have handled that if the plot was really good. In the beginning I was really interested in the plot and the seedy background of the Family life that Penny has, but halfway in after certain events occur, I felt like the book forgot what it was. No longer did we have much on the Family or the organ trafficking, but it turned into this sappy instalove romance that I found really unbelievable. Also, it was pretty obvious who this guy was that Penny felt was "her reason for breathing." 


Like serious girl get a grip! I wanted to slap the crap out of her at this point in the novel. Especially since I felt like it didn't do much to move the plot along.

Like I said, I had a lot of problems with the main character. How she acted and presented herself was probably my main reason for not liking the book. Penny has this blood disorder that makes it hard for her to have a normal life. In the beginning of the novel there was so much emphasis on how she needs transfusions but once she was on her own, the only thing we get is that she keeps on bruising. I expected her to collapse and go into the hospital right away, so I felt like it was a little realistic that that didn't happen until the end of the novel. She had gone WEEKS without any sort of treatment, so I found this a little unbelievable. 

Penny also had no perception of how people live without privilege. She led a really privileged life and was used to getting her own way. I found her to be a spoiled brat, and it really irritated me. In the beginning of the novel, I kind of understood it because she was sheltered in her house because of her condition. It didn't make sense to me that after a lot of things happened to her she still acted this way, and I generally just found her to be really immature. Her story became way too dramatic for me, that I just wanted it be over.

So I'm not saying that everyone will hate this book, but for me I just found it too problematic to really enjoy it. I was hoping it would be in the same vein as Holly Black's Curse Workers series, but I just found this one really disappointing.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow