Monday, August 24, 2015

Review: Heir to The Jedi

Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne
Publisher: Lucasbooks (Del Ray)
Release Date:  January 1st, 2015
Source: Library
Format: Hardback, 304 pages
Summary Via GoodReads

My Rating: ★★1/2

Goodreads ★ Amazon ★ B&N ★ TBD

Luke Skywalker’s game-changing destruction of the Death Star has made him not only a hero of the Rebel Alliance but a valuable asset in the ongoing battle against the Empire. Though he’s a long way from mastering the power of the Force, there’s no denying his phenomenal skills as a pilot—and in the eyes of Rebel leaders Princess Leia Organa and Admiral Ackbar, there’s no one better qualified to carry out a daring rescue mission crucial to the Alliance cause.

A brilliant alien cryptographer renowned for her ability to breach even the most advanced communications systems is being detained by Imperial agents determined to exploit her exceptional talents for the Empire’s purposes. But the prospective spy’s sympathies lie with the Rebels, and she’s willing to join their effort in exchange for being reunited with her family. It’s an opportunity to gain a critical edge against the Empire that’s too precious to pass up. It’s also a job that demands the element of surprise. So Luke and the ever-resourceful droid R2-D2 swap their trusty X-wing fighter for a sleek space yacht piloted by brash recruit Nakari Kelen, daughter of a biotech mogul, who’s got a score of her own to settle with the Empire.

Challenged by ruthless Imperial bodyguards, death-dealing enemy battleships, merciless bounty hunters, and monstrous brain-eating parasites, Luke plunges head-on into a high-stakes espionage operation that will push his abilities as a Rebel fighter and would-be Jedi to the limit. If ever he needed the wisdom of Obi-Wan Kenobi to shepherd him through danger, it’s now. But Luke will have to rely on himself, his friends, and his own burgeoning relationship with the Force to survive

So I really wanted to like this novel, I really did, but I just couldn't. Maybe it was because I was expecting Timothy Zahn's style of writing. Maybe because I'm still salty that according to the new Star Wars cannon Mara Jade doesn't exist. But if this is what the new Star Wars Expanded Universe reads like, I don't know if I can get back into it.

First of all there are a lot of things that I think messed up this book's publication. Originally it was supposed to be the third novel in a series that were standalone stories for our three heroes. However, when it was declared that everything in the "Old E.U" wasn't cannon those first two books were to be disregarded and this book was supposed to be apart of the "new cannon". I think that kind of upset the flow of this book. The whole time I was reading it I felt that it was seriously lacking some comic relief from Han or rationale from Leia. I just felt like it was Luke Skywalker courier messenger boy for The Alliance. That just made for a kind of boring plot.

I wanted to get into this book, but other than Luke finding a old Jedi's lightsaber there wasn't much significant that happened in the plot. It just felt like nothing happened in this book. Luke basically ran errands for the rebellion, talked to people and tried to figure out ways to outrun The Empire. It just all felt too dull for me. I needed more from this book, and at the end I just felt really indifferent to it.

I also felt like the secondary characters were really two-dimensional so when bad things happened to them I just felt rather "meh" about it. The Givin he goes to rescue was significant because there wouldn't have been a plot without her, and I did think it was interesting to read about a culture that based their lives around math, but Nakari could have easily not been in this novel. That was really disappointing, because she just seemed like this pretty thing for Luke to look at, and that really annoyed me.

The only reason I started getting into the EU again is because I'm listening to The Star Wars Stacks Podcast, so I'm really interested in what the trio has to say about this one. I just wasn't a fan of this one.

Happy Reads Everyone!
Follow